Windows XP Pro booted, with and error message (already)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverStream

Baseband Member
Ok! I got my new system built, finally. Now I booted Windows from the XP Pro CD (Real, full copy that I bought from Amazon.co.uk) I got the required RAID Drivers from the Floppy disc DFI gave me with the mobo and all that goes though. But, after this I get the following message;

Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windiws CD.

Please insert one of the following product CDs into the CD-ROM drive: <large list of MS Products containing XP Pro>

-When the CD is in the drive press ENTER

-To quit Setup, press F3

I tried cleaning it, putting it into the other drive, restarting but none of this worked. Please help, SilverStream :D

Hmm, try it in a different computer. If it work there, then perhpas your CD drive is defective. If the disc does seem to work, then try to canibalize another CD drive from soemthing (or just go out and buy one and return this one) and install, you can return it to wherever you ripped it out from. This is very strange, I have burned the XP installer for a friend who lost his disk (but not his key) and even that worked fine. The only other thing I might try is to take out said RAID flopy, and if Windows works, then hit F6 or soemthing when propted and install the drivers then.

I swapped the drive with the computer i am on now and the new computer and it still doesn't work but it works fine in this computer. The setup thing pops up and gives me the options of install XP, learn more, etc... i'll try the IDE ports and then the RAID drviers. Watch this space ;)

try to actually boot with the disc on your alternate machine. Just because autorun work doesn't mean the it will be happy on boot.

OK the IDE thing didn't work and nor did the RAID thing but i'll try and boot on this computer. BRB

This computer will boot from the CD but the new one still won't. Should I try installing an 'aquired' copy of Windows 2000 and then try XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom