Windows Vista Installation fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_bo

Daemon Poster
I have been trying to install vista on a Toshiba Laptop. However, i seem to get to the last phrase of completing installation but then it fails with an error that says "windows vista installation couldn't prepare the computer to reboot" and then i have to go through the setup again.

Any ideas?

oh by the way the laptop is designed for vista.

What version of windows vista are you running ?
When the vista setup is about to complete, before the error occurs what tasks in the installtion percentage is it processing, say like loadings drivers unpacking system files or anything else like that ?
The reason why I am asking because sometimes windows vista or any other past windows will jam up during the installation preventing it from completing, some times it can be hardware related or corrupted files that gets unpacked during the installation.

At the moment nothing is installed but trying to install windows premium... i have reformatted the hard drive and tired to do a clean install, it seems to get up to completing installation and then gives me the error "windows vista installation couldn't prepare the computer to reboot".

Try to copy that DVD and burn it on another. The DVD could be scratched. As Mike said sometimes there could be a bad file which is preventing the installation from completing.

Have you tried to run this installation disk on another computer? Just to see if the issue is the DVD or the computer.

Well ive tired it on another disk but that comes up with a different error, so ive tired it on my usb pen n it seems okay till i get to the completeing phrase

I have been using the Windows Anytime Upgrade disc to do a clean install

Okay first use GParted to format to NTFS. That should help. As the only thing that the Vista disc does is a quick format which stinks.

Second trying to use a upgrade disk for a full clean install is nothing but trouble. So you cant expect a Upgrade Disk to fresh install perfectly. You would be better off installing Home Basic then upgrading.

Yes, you will burn it as an .ISO file so the computer recognizes it as a bootable device. Then boot to it and format the partition / drive (great idea Mak).

Just downloading now, im gonna give the usb download a shot, i will post back in 10mins...cheers

Would it be save to delete all partitions and make it as one?

okay i just reformatted the hard drive, should i use the windows upgrade anytime or my MSDNA downloaded disc?

Just a thought... it could be your optical drive since you are getting different errors on different disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom