windows mail? live mail? outlook express? huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
Okay...I'm trying to set up the e-mail for my website and it seems like the easiest way if just to configure it with outlook express............ BUT

From what I can tell microsoft stopped supporting it? And then instead made windows live mail? or windows mail? or something. I'm so confused now on what's what and what software comes on what OS.

So what's the deal and where can I find one of these programs that'll work for me? I'm running windows 7 professional if that makes any difference. Is there something already installed? If so, I can't find it. And from what I've read outlook express has been dead since version 6..and that came with IE6 or something.

Never used the Windows Live Mail thing, normally I just use the web browser to login. If you have MS Office 07 or higher, think their is a patch for Outlook to be able to work with your Windows Live Mail account again.

talking to my dad about it and he linked me Thunderbird - It?s All Yours

anyone ever used that for this kind of use?

and thanks for the info puddle and joelm...does windows live basically do the same think as outlook?
Well I would believe the actual "Windows Live Mail" software is to access that type of account only; Outlook you can access mainly any type of account that uses POP3 and SMTP protocols.

Think of it as Outlook can access Yahoo, Windows Live, Gmail, etc. Same as Thunderbird btw, just Thunderbird is free I guess.

Edit: Now reading the Windows Live Mail thing, guess I can be wrong :(. http://download.live.com/wlmail

Windows LIve Mail is free and comes with windows 7. Downside is they no longer support POP3 which is what 99% of (free) internet use that.

If you want to use POP3 email accounts you will have to use another software..

Well i can configure it with POP3 or IMAP by the looks of the e-mail thingy on the cpanel :\

so windows live mail is still used, but can't use with POP3 e-mails...but the firefox thing can use it?

Outlook Express is the simple version that came with XP. It was disbanned before Vista was ever released and replaced with Windows Mail. That has been disabled in Win7 and Microsoft would like people to use Windows Live Mail. It is part of the Essentials pack that you can install separately from all the rest of the programs.

Live Mail can to use POP3 emails. I have connected it to my GMail account so many times using POP. I was using it for over 3 months till i reinstalled to run Office 2010 Beta. It can be configured, but you have to set it up according to your mail settings for your server! We cant give you that information as we dont have access to it.

It will be almost identical to setting it up for Outlook or Outlook Express. The options will be almost exactly the same and the menus will be close but not exactly the same.

Oh okay ..so I done a search for the essentials thing and it took me to a webpage with a bunch of stuff ,including the mail, I guess this is what you're talking about?

EDIT: Why is windows live wanting me to use a hotmail account..i thought the whole was to use multiple e-mail accounts with these things...?

and so far the firefox one is just being super stubborn and not wanting to work at all :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom