Windows is not responding + failure to display security and shutdown options

pochg29

Beta member
Hi all,

I'm having this issue with Windows where, after using for a few minutes, my computer hangs. It would sometimes show the error "Microsoft Windows. This application is not responding." and when I try to Ctrl+Alt+Del, it would show the error "Failure to display security and shutdown options"

Before the few minutes, all is well, the pc runs smoothly. The time factor also varies. The hanging usually happens when I would close a program like after a video or game, but it could also happen when just idle.

Here are the things I've tried and results:
1) System restore to a previous date
- Problem still exists
2) System restore further back
- Problem still exists
3) Run in SAFE mode
- Windows works normally (of course, you are limited when in SAFE mode so I don't consider this a solution)
4) Clean boot (Running with just Windows Services enabled)
- Problem still exists
5) Disk Defragment
- It would hang before it could finish
6) Microsoft fix-it
7) Windows Update
8) CMD in SAFE mode
a) CHKDSK c:
- Windows found problems with the file system, try /F
b) CHKDSK c: /F
- c: Drive is NTFS: locked
c) sfc / verify only
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations
d) netsh winsock reset
- Problem still exists
9) Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials
- Problem still exists

As you can see, I've been quite desperate about this one. As much as possible I don't want to resort to a method that would require a format/factory reset, since I still have important files in my pc. Also, I read somewhere in my search for a cure, that even a reformat of hard drive, doesn't remove the problem. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Specs:
ASUS G51Jx
Intel® Core™ i7 720QM/620M Processor
Windows 7 Home Premium
DDR3 1066/1333 MHz SDRAM up to 8GB (Intel® Core™ i7 platform)
500GB 5400rpm

You said when you booted into Safe Mode, all is well and you had no issues. This can be due to limitations yes, have you tried logging into SM and disabling all the start-up programs, then rebooting normally?
If yes, did it hang still? If it did then it could be one of the programs on start-up causing it to hang.

You said when you booted into Safe Mode, all is well and you had no issues. This can be due to limitations yes, have you tried logging into SM and disabling all the start-up programs, then rebooting normally?
If yes, did it hang still? If it did then it could be one of the programs on start-up causing it to hang.

OP said he tried disabling all startup options besides MS services already.

@OP: try running a chkdsk again.

Open command prompt as admin > type in: chkdsk c: /f /r
It will say it cannot lock the current drive and will ask to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter and then reboot your computer and let chkdsk run (it will go through 5 stages, and may take some time).

It will say it cannot lock the current drive and will ask to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter and then reboot your computer and let chkdsk run (it will go through 5 stages, and may take some time).

Thanks for clearing that out with OP while I was away. Thanks for reply as well. Will try /f/r as soon as I can.

Thanks for clearing that out with OP while I was away. Thanks for reply as well. Will try /f/r as soon as I can.

You're OP; I was talking to joelm with the quote :p.

OP is short for Original Poster, just FYI.

Three things can cause the "failure to display security and shutdown options" message when pressing ctrl-alt-del:
1. Programs interfering with basic OS functions (ie- bad av)
2. System is consistently maxing out cpu and memory utilization (I extremely doubt that with your system).
3. A very slow and, often the case, failing hard drive.

I would put my money on no. 3 being the case. It was definitely the most vulnerable and unreliable piece of hardware in your nice laptop.

You'll want to consider re-imaging it (which may or may not solve the problem), or getting a new (better, faster) hard drive and imaging that one in its place.

Last edited:

Seemed to have missed that, also was going to suggest the same solution but thought he already did it as stated (didn't see he did't tried it with admin privileges).

It's all good, and OP means Original Poster (threadstarter) for future reference :silly:.

You're OP; I was talking to joelm with the quote :p.

OP is short for Original Poster, just FYI.

Lol. Assumed his name was OP by just reading your post. Sorry about that Joelm.

Not OP, just desperate on getting my ROG back.XD

Seemed to have missed that, also was going to suggest the same solution but thought he already did it as stated (didn't see he did't tried it with admin privileges).

It's all good, and OP means Original Poster (threadstarter) for future reference :silly:.

Forgot to mention that. I did use admin privileges for all actions above.

Three things can cause the "failure to display security and shutdown options" message when pressing ctrl-alt-del:
1. Programs interfering with basic OS functions (ie- bad av)
2. System is consistently maxing out cpu and memory utilization (I extremely doubt that with your system).
3. A very slow and, often the case, failing hard drive.

I would put my money on no. 3 being the case. It was definitely the most vulnerable and unreliable piece of hardware in your nice laptop.

You'll want to consider re-imaging it (which may or may not solve the problem), or getting a new (better, faster) hard drive and imaging that one in its place.

Thanks so much for the reply. Good insight on 3, any suggestions on that better faster hard drive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the reply. Good insight on 3, any suggestions on that better faster hard drive?
Western Digital Scorpio Black wd5000bpkt 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive - Newegg.com
If you want a replacement HDD.

But my suggestion would be an SSD, truthfully. Yes, they're more expensive so you will get less GB/$ than a hard drive, but the performance is unparalleled.

SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120KW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

Edit: I don't know what websites ship to the Philippines though :(

Last edited:
As Windows has found issues with the file system and thus far the issues have not been repaired, the repair of the file system should certainly be your first priority at this point.

Replacing the hard disk altogether would resolve the issue with the file system but would also be a blank slate requiring reinstallation of Windows and programs, and transfer of your data.

If Chkdsk fails on you even in Safe Mode running as an Administrator, you can also run it from your installation media by booting to the Windows install disk, selecting your language settings, then selecting Repair your computer rather than selecting Install now. A window of System Recovery Options will load, the bottom most item of which is the Command Prompt, through which you should be able to check your disks from outside the operating system.

The chkdsk command will automatically apply to the active volume, as such it may be necessary for you to identify the drive letter of the Windows volume. You can use the Disk Partitioning Utility to identify the volume on which Windows is installed using the following commands:
Code:
diskpart
list volume
exit
The Windows partition should be the largest, and may be labeled Windows.

To run chkdsk on a specific drive letter, use the following:
Code:
chkdsk c: /r
The /r parameter implies /f, as such both do not need to be entered, details can be found in the command line reference.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom