Windows 8 freezes up

Yamahakid88

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, having a problem with my hp Envy M6 with windows 8 freezing up. Everything will be fine for a short period but randomly it likes to freeze up. I am still able to move my mouse pointer but I cannot click anything and after a short while the whole computer freezes and I can no longer use the mouse or keyboard. I have done an advanced system restore back to a month ago, scanned for malware and viruses, defragged and cleaned the disk and it still does it.Fast help is appreciated as I need this computer for school.
Thanks!

What did you use to scan for malware?

Have you ran a disk check?

How much software do you have installed/running? Also, could you please post your specs (or at least the full model number)?

I used malwarebytes to scan

I did a disk check and it was fine.

I am not running alot of processes, litteraly spotify and google chrome
How do I find out the specs?

I used malwarebytes to scan

I did a disk check and it was fine.

I am not running alot of processes, litteraly spotify and google chrome
How do I find out the specs?

There can still be a lot of background processes running - open up Task manager and go to the Startup tab and disable everything that you don't need running right away.

Then go to the Start screen and type in "msconfig" (without quotes) and then go to the Services tab. Check the box that says "Hide all Microsoft services" and disable any services that you don't need running on startup/automatically.

Would also be a good idea to check Event Viewer under System and Applications log trees and see if you're receiving a lot of reoccurring errors or warnings.

There can still be a lot of background processes running - open up Task manager and go to the Startup tab and disable everything that you don't need running right away.

Then go to the Start screen and type in "msconfig" (without quotes) and then go to the Services tab. Check the box that says "Hide all Microsoft services" and disable any services that you don't need running on startup/automatically.

Would also be a good idea to check Event Viewer under System and Applications log trees and see if you're receiving a lot of reoccurring errors or warnings.

Ok I checked task manager and I still do not have alot running, pretty much just basic microsoft programs.

Very annoying, it was fine just a couple days ago, now all the sudden it starts happening.

Ok here is what I found as I went into event viewer under system log. I get quite a few warning lines. The source is "amdsata" Event ID 129. "Reset to device,\Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

Could possibly be a Windows Update that was installed that's causing issues.

Open up Windows Update -> Installed Updates -> sort by date and see if any of them were installed when you started having the issues.

Could possibly be a Windows Update that was installed that's causing issues.

Open up Windows Update -> Installed Updates -> sort by date and see if any of them were installed when you started having the issues.

Ok, went ahead and checked, and the most recent update to windows was today. Nothing previous around the time I started having problems.
Thank you for your help by the way, seriously appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom