Windows 7 vs. Windows 8.1

Discusman

In Runtime
Hi All,

I'm planning to build a new PC. I'm deciding which OS should I get for my new PC. I've done some online research and Windows 8.1 user stated that most of his/her old MS programs applications such as MS Word 2003, etc. can't be used with Windows 8.1. Some of them also experienced issue using their printers/scanner with Windows 8.1 due to the fact that Windows 8.1 is very new and it didn't make to work with old application and hardwares.

Other articles stated that Windows 7 has been fully tested many many times and it is more stable than Windows 8.1 Therefore business use Windows 7 for its stability and sake of maintenance.
But Windows 7 doesn't have some nice features that Windows 8.1 offer. So the same article suggested people should go with Windows 8.1 if it is for personal use only.

I do have MS Office 2003 and printer/scanner which it is several years old. So I would need to trash my MS applications and printer to buy a new one if I want to go with Windows 8.1

What options do I have here?

Thanks

Office 2003:

According to this: Solved Office 2003 with Win 8?
and this: MS Office 2003 and Windows 8.1 64 bit - Business Applications

Office 2003 works fine for most people. That being said, it's just not "officially" supported by MS, so you buy one of the newer versions. If 2003 doesn't install for you, then either buy a newer copy (you can get Home & Student editions for ~$80), or use a free/open-source alternative, such as OpenOffice by Apache or LibreOffice.

Printer/scanner:
What's the brand/model of the printer/scanner? You can usually go to the manufacturer's site and see if they have drivers available for 8.1.

Both my fiance and I have been running Win8 since it's released, and we haven't had any issues. I know several other people that run Win8 as well and don't have any issues either (your mileage may vary, depending on the programs that you use - usually if they work on Win7, they should work on Win8 as well).

"More stable" is a relative term. It can vary from one person's system to another, depending on their hardware/software they're running. Of course Win7 would be "tested more" (not sure where you're reading this stuff, btw) - it's been out much longer than Win8 has... The reason businesses are sticking with Win7 is because most of their legacy applications have already been going through conversions/testing to work on Win7 (when they were using XP prior). In order to drop testing on Win7, it would cost a huge amount of money to start testing on another OS, not to mention get new licenses for Win8 (if they're already on Win7). Businesses generally don't mass-upgrade OS's when a new version releases - only on very big releases (like Win7 was).

Other members here are going to say to just use Win7 and that Win8 sucks - IMO, make your own decision. Get the trial version of Win8, run it for the trial period (30 days I believe) and see what you think yourself.

Although no fancy links to websites or crazy paragraphs, my answer would be one of Technical over Simplistic. Windows 8 has by far the easiest installation and having a tablet like feel with quick ways to switch between programs. I'd say if you want to start getting into files and exploring the software of the computer, Windows 7 will work fine, but if you just want to browse the internet, do basic installation and navigation and have to suffer for trying to find deeper folders, i'd say Windows 8. It's really just preference. I'd say, like carnage noted, run the trial and see how it is. And as much people say Windows 8 isn't compatible with most everything, that's not really true, it's just as compatible as Windows 7 with minor differences.

Office 2003:

According to this: Solved Office 2003 with Win 8?
and this: MS Office 2003 and Windows 8.1 64 bit - Business Applications

Office 2003 works fine for most people. That being said, it's just not "officially" supported by MS, so you buy one of the newer versions. If 2003 doesn't install for you, then either buy a newer copy (you can get Home & Student editions for ~$80), or use a free/open-source alternative, such as OpenOffice by Apache or LibreOffice.

Printer/scanner:
What's the brand/model of the printer/scanner? You can usually go to the manufacturer's site and see if they have drivers available for 8.1.

Both my fiance and I have been running Win8 since it's released, and we haven't had any issues. I know several other people that run Win8 as well and don't have any issues either (your mileage may vary, depending on the programs that you use - usually if they work on Win7, they should work on Win8 as well).

"More stable" is a relative term. It can vary from one person's system to another, depending on their hardware/software they're running. Of course Win7 would be "tested more" (not sure where you're reading this stuff, btw) - it's been out much longer than Win8 has... The reason businesses are sticking with Win7 is because most of their legacy applications have already been going through conversions/testing to work on Win7 (when they were using XP prior). In order to drop testing on Win7, it would cost a huge amount of money to start testing on another OS, not to mention get new licenses for Win8 (if they're already on Win7). Businesses generally don't mass-upgrade OS's when a new version releases - only on very big releases (like Win7 was).

Other members here are going to say to just use Win7 and that Win8 sucks - IMO, make your own decision. Get the trial version of Win8, run it for the trial period (30 days I believe) and see what you think yourself.

I have a Canon MX860 photo printer with scanner and fax built-in.

Although no fancy links to websites or crazy paragraphs, my answer would be one of Technical over Simplistic. Windows 8 has by far the easiest installation and having a tablet like feel with quick ways to switch between programs. I'd say if you want to start getting into files and exploring the software of the computer, Windows 7 will work fine, but if you just want to browse the internet, do basic installation and navigation and have to suffer for trying to find deeper folders, i'd say Windows 8. It's really just preference. I'd say, like carnage noted, run the trial and see how it is. And as much people say Windows 8 isn't compatible with most everything, that's not really true, it's just as compatible as Windows 7 with minor differences.
Compatibility is only relative to the software and hardware the user is using.

Office 2003:

This much I'll agree with carnage on when I got my windows 8 pro key last year from ms.
I took the time and went to learn windows 8 itself it may seem abit slower and frustating at times.
But its alright for what it does, hell I dont even mind the start button being gone.
Just hit the start button on the keyboard mash some letters in the search for whatever and your done.

My current problem is windows 8.1 stability and registry problems even now windows 8 store begs me to upgrade.
After my last issue with MS new and improved 8.1 I flip a bird at the monitor and keep using the original windows 8.

Having windows 7 on tablet or small notebook/laptop is a good thing to have.
When your on the go and you don't have time to flip flop through windows 8 navigation menu 7 would trump 8 and 8.1 on that feature.

Just go with what seems suitable for your needs buy your product key and be done with it before the os locks you out.

When I built mine I had a copy of 7 retail so I could have used it, BUT I want to continue using the old system so I opted to get 8.1 and didn't really like the setup at first and ended up getting a program called StartIsBack for $3 I think and it is great, once your used to some of the features you start to really like it and it seems to boot a little faster than 7 does also but that was not a big point to me (I can wait 15 seconds longer on a boot and not care. I do like 8.1 with the StartIsBack added.

Dauntae
Screenshot364.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom