Windows 7 Public Beta Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Public betas of Windows 7 client and server could hit this week

It's not much of a secret at this point, but CEO Steve Ballmer is expected to announce official availability of the closed Windows 7 Beta 1 release during his Consumer Electronics Show keynote address on January 7. The official (non-Torrented) Beta 1 bits should be available to pre-approved Windows 7 Beta 1 testers later Wednesday night or early on January 8.

Ditto with Windows 7 Server, a k a Windows Server 2008 R2. The private Beta 1 release of that product is scheduled for late January 7/early January 8, I'm hearing.

I've gotten a number of questions from readers this year already about the expected public betas of these products. I've made some discreet inquiries.

The public (the one and only) beta of Windows 7 client and server could be released simultaneously with the private Beta 1 builds this week, according to some of my sources. What's the point of a simultaneous public and private beta? The private testers' feedback will get top priority; the public beta will be more of a milestone marker than anything else.

One source of mine said the Windows Server 2008 R2 code definitely will be available to the public this week, but was less sure about client. He said he thought the public beta of Windows 7 client might lag by a week or so.

Update: Nope. It's going to be sooner, not later. The latest word: The public beta of Win 7 client is due to hit Friday, January 9, according to a source familiar with Microsoft's plans. The public beta of Win 7 Server is due to hit a day earlier, January 8, the source added.

Microsoft officials declined to comment as to when testers — public or private — should expect to get the new Windows 7 client and server builds.

Source

Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

Will both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions be launched this week?

Or is that still an unknown?

I have no idea. I cant confirm or deny anything. Cause the Official testers as of 1/7/2009 @ 5:30PM EST still do not have the Official Beta. So what Microsoft plans on doing is beyond me or my thoughts anymore. If they do release it to the public. That will be a fail to me. Why give it to us a day before it goes public? What is the point then....

Do you know where we will be able to download it from?
Will it be on the Microsoft homepage, or hidden away somewhere...?
Also, any idea how big it'll be?

Tim it will be on a DVD for sure so expect it to be around the same size as Vista, I will wait for mak to confirm that though mate he is on the Offical pre public beta lucky git...

I can't wait for Mircrosoft to publicly open up the beta for the server OS, I recently benched both in VM's and on the same physical server various Linux and Windows server OS's and both are level pegging right now. I got to hand it to them in the years that I havent used Windows as my primary OS they have come on leaps and bounds.

Pre-beta's have been around 2.7GB, roughly. I'd guess it's probably going to stay around that same mark.

The public Beta would be....and you'd probably be able to get it off of M$'s site I'd imagine. Where? No idea...they haven't released it yet :p.

so it's not out. i'll take a look on thier site and report back if i see any thing :)

EDIT: looked and saw nothing saying any thing about beta.

Guys please READ the posts. It states in the new post i put up that the Public Beta is rumored to be released FRIDAY. It is Wednesday. So no links are up and not other information is available.

Again i can not confirm or deny these as i have no clue myself. I cant give any inside info on how big it will be where the download link will be nothing. I have no idea. I dont have the build myself so i cant give any information at all. It is all stated above already.

Everythign that we do know is already stated in this post and that is all we know. Nothing more nothing less. We can not say that it is going to be available we can not say where. We can not say anything. NOTHING is confirmed.

Asking questions about where to get it and how big it will be will only get me quoting this response. Cause there is NO information at this time. It is not until Friday when anything that is even talked about can even be confirmed as true or false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom