Windows 7 editions help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I am sure there is a simple answer, but i am a bit unsure.

I'm not sure about other countries, but in the UK students are eligible to get Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for £30, instead of the normal £70.

However, what's the 'Upgrade' part mean ? It says something to do with Vista, but i am on Windows 7 RC and Vista is long gone..

It is just like the XP Upgrade or the Vista Upgrade. All it is saying is that you have to have a previous version of Windows installed to use the disk. Just like Vista upgrade where you went from XP to Vista using that disk same thing but with Win7.

So there is no point in me buying the upgrade ? as i no longer have Vista - or XP for that matter.

edit:
Well, that was a waste of £30. If only i saw your Windows 7 FAQ first.

Yup, upgrade is from one finalized OS to another, it isn't from Beta to true. If people could do that everyone that downloaded the beta version of any OS would essentially get a 70 dollar OS for 30 dollars.

All the information has been in the FAQ thread for a while now. It was put there for a reason. I took the time to make sure that just about everything was in there for things like this, so that people had 1 place to go to get information about generic questions that would be asked.

Bah looks like I'm going to be reformatting my HDD again to put Vista back on and then upgrade to Win 7.

So there is no point in me buying the upgrade ? as i no longer have Vista - or XP for that matter.

edit:
Well, that was a waste of £30. If only i saw your Windows 7 FAQ first.
As stated by the previous post above, you just need your authentic Windows Vista installed

How can this be a waste of money if you already had a fully operational Windows installed?
Unless your previous version was not authentic. Do you have a COA Sticker on the side of your case? If so what is the version of Windows registered to you? None?

And if "none", then why did you buy "upgrade"

I had vista ultimate, but have no idea where it is. I planned on never using it again, so it could be anywhere.

I bought tge upgrade because i didnt realise you couldnt upgrade from the RC... silly me.

That makes no sense

You can upgrade, do you have the COA key affixed to your computer?
If so then you just need to replace the media (DVD) and that's all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom