Windows 7 and Windows XP network connection issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggeodoe

Beta member
Hi all,

I set up a wireless network for my housemates last and everything is working fine. However At the begging of this uni year I brought a wireless network card for my desktop which runs Windows XP Service pack 3 so that I could use that in the house as well. It connects to the network fine, however it is unable to see any other computer on the network. My Laptop that runs Windows Seven is able to see the desktop on the network but can not access it. All I want to do is to transfer some files from the laptop to the desktop.

Any help would be much appreciated

Make sure they're all on the same workgroup
Make sure you've got 'full access' for 'everyone' allowed on the xp machine

Hmmmm... I too have not been able to get Windows 7 (my machine) to "see" my wife's XP machine, or vice versa. So it looks like I must have missed something because I have tried doing this before, but maybe I didn't do exactly as Soul specified here.

The only things you really need to make sure of so that both machines can "see" each other are:
1. Same workgroup. XP uses MSHOME as default, 7 uses WORKGROUP. I just change the xp ones to WORKGROUP too.
2. Same subnet.
3. If you want guaranteed connection no other fiddling required, get a switch and put it in before the router. Connect all PCs to that and connect the router to the switch. An 8 port gig switch doesn't cost that much, and as well as speeding up local network transfers it makes communication on the network much easier/less crowded.

If that doesn't work, just run the Network Setup Wizard on XP... It'll turn on the necessary sharing options (i.e. file & printer sharing). Then make sure that the sharing options are set to allow you to be visable and share files on the Win7 machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom