windows 2000 to xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

grapeape

Baseband Member
I have a small network setup > i am running a windows xp on a laptop and windows 2000 on a pc. They are connect thru a linksys router. They both have internet access.

The windows 2000 pc computer sees the laptop and can access the shared files . The win xp pro on the laptop, it can see the pc computer running windows 2000, however when i go to access it , it asks for me to type in a user name and password. I type in the name of the laptop user but it does not regonize the user and password.

What am i doing wrong?

If you are logging onto the Desktop then you must have a user accuont on the desktop that you should be logging in with from the laptop. Make a similar username and password account on both the laptop and the desktop, then log on with that user on the laptop and then try it.

Method1) On the 2000 machine go to control panel/administrative tools/computer management. Expand Local Users and Groups, select Users. Enable the Guest account.

Method2) You need to type in the account on 2000 machine. If you are accessing from XP to 2000, you need to use the 2000 account to log in.

do i understand

Ok i think i understand. If I am admin on my desk top i need to log in as admin from the laptop. If i want to i can create another non admin user on the pc and log in as that user?

Yes you can, but it is prefer you use the Guest account for security reason. The Guest account must be enable on both computer in computer management, it does not need to be enable to log in locally just enable to log in through the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom