Win7 On New ssd, but NOT Adobe!?

C3ntury

Solid State Member
Heya everyone,

I've been scouring Google (it's my friend) and cannot seem to find a definite answer to my problem. I have Win7 installed on an Intel 80gb ssd along with an Adobe Master Suite. I recently purchased an Intel 530 240gb ssd and want Win7 installed, but not the Adobe Suite (I want to keep the Adobe Suite on the 80ssd). What options do I have other than migrating everything and dealing with Adobe sharing the new drive? I do not want to have to reinstall the whole Adobe Suite (it's big)...ain't gonna happen capin'.

-I assume that I cannot simply migrate everything, delete the Win7 on the 80gb, delete Adobe Suite on new 240gb, and finally rename the Drive letter? That would be too easy.
-I also assume a fresh install on the 240gb, deleting the Win7 on the 80gb, and renaming the Drive letter would also not work.

Other than office files (word, excel, etc) and what's in User files (game file extensions), everything is installed on other drives, though I'm not sure if a fresh install would affect them...if that is the ticket.

Any insight? Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated!

Honestly the best way to go about doing this is fresh install on the new drive of Windows with only it plugged in, and when you're done setting that all up plug the old SSD back in. Format the old SSD, then install Adobe onto the old SSD by simply changing install directory.

So in other words reinstalling the Adobe Suite? Not gonna happen as I said before and if that's my only option I'll just migrate the entire drive and be done with it. It's a shame Win7 doesn't allow more realistic options...

Unless it's CS4 they are all rather small. Not sure what the big deal is. You don't even have to do that. You could fresh install on the new drive and after you're done setting that up plug the old one in and see if the Adobe install will still work.
Not exactly Windows fault you don't want to reinstall a program.

So in other words reinstalling the Adobe Suite? Not gonna happen as I said before and if that's my only option I'll just migrate the entire drive and be done with it. It's a shame Win7 doesn't allow more realistic options...

Considering that the options you mention are not able to be done in ANY operating system. Be it Linux, OS X or Windows. I fail to see how it is a shame that they dont offer more realistic options. The truth is your expectations are unrealistic.

No you cant migrate Windows to a new drive. You can clone it. You can uninstall it from the new location on the SSD. But the fact remains you WILL have to reinstall Adobe. There is no other way around it.

The fact is that even if you clone, Windows will be looking to execute Adobe from where it was inntalled to. That being the C:/ drive. So even if you clone Windows, you will have to uninstall Adobe since you dont want it on the C:/ drive and reinstall it using the new location of the 80GB SSD that you want it on. That will be the only way you will get Windows or any OS for that matter, to recognize the fact it is installed and to properly execute it.

So your options are as follows:

1. Clean install Windows to the new drive, then install Adobe to the drive you want.
2. Leave the setup alone.
3. Clone the drive, uninstall Adobe, reinstall it using the new drive location you want it to be on.
4. Clone the drive, leave it alone.

Those are going to be your only options. As it would be the same options available in any OS made today. You may not like it, but that is the truth.

Back
Top Bottom