Smell test visual inspection
Fresh windows and drivers
Nothing seems broken.

I just feel like it should pull better

msi rtx 2080 super
32gb ram
basic nvme
Ran destiny 2 at qhd resolution at solid 160-200 fps and max specs
Are you sure this is correct? When I was running my 2080 Destiny 2 at 1440p never ran that fast and my 2080 was OC'd beyond Super spec (average between 120-130). I was also not running with max settings, opting for more performance in favor of a few frames. For a 3080, that should be around 180-200fps average at base 1440p, so 2560x1440. Then again they've had quite a few issues the past couple of years since I moved off my 2080 so who knows. I've seen dudes with 4090s complaining about performance too but I stopped playing a while ago.

One thing you might try is adding and using the ultimate performance power plan.
Open up a command prompt with admin and past this in.
powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

Go to Windows power options and change it to ultimate performance.

I thought it was a bit odd as well
But i played on it for about 6 months straight and it was pretty consistent
Maybe i had some ultra stable unicorn Pc or something.

But it ran d2 at those fps
Fortnite was at about 80-100
Borderlands3 was 86-120

I started playing destiny 1 lol
And really like the game have to agree with many who said d1 was way more fun to play overall as a game experience.
I still play d2 only because my dummass bought thr annual pass so i grind the seasonal levels ans bounce

Heres the readings from playing d2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231230_175913_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231230_175913_Gallery.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 5
could the memory temp bottleneck the gpu?
It is at 94degrees while the gpu is at 80 during heavy load
And i read on forums that the 3080 gpu can clock up to 2010mhz

And that dell has poorly designed memory heatsink where pads are weak

Im also assuming that if its pulling 320watts from the psu and whatever 40-60watts from pci port then power supply is not the limit.

i was reading in other forums that these dell cards have bad memory thermal pads and when those were upgraded the boost speed increased.
but thats forums .
that the memory temp kicks in throttle on entire gpu

power limit you mean firmware setting or PSU not providing enough juice?

its been years since i actually built a gaming rig so im hella rusty on the details right now i havent read anything yet this is my first reasonably good setup since like 2006. i was building external coolers to squeeze my poor vaio pc to play unreal tournament on lan. now you can just buy everything

i was reading in other forums that these dell cards have bad memory thermal pads and when those were upgraded the boost speed increased.
but thats forums .
that the memory temp kicks in throttle on entire gpu

power limit you mean firmware setting or PSU not providing enough juice?
Mem temps won't throttle the card, it'd give you artifacts. The only card in the 3000 series that had really bad VRAM temp issues was the FE 3090 because the back side dies were not getting cooled enough from a simple backplate. That's why you see back side heatsinks and active cooling backplate waterblocks now. But they're good up to 100c before you should start worrying, and yours is sitting at 92c running full throttle.

By Dell do you mean the Alienware 3080 OEM?
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/alienware-rtx-3080-oem.b8258
If so, then the stock boost clock on that card is 1710, as is the Dell LHR OEM. There are only a couple of high stock clock 3080s with a stock boost of 1905. Most 3080s can hit 2Ghz without an OC if they have a good cooler and raise the power limit. That's what the other folks are probably talking about.

By power limit I mean the power cap put in the vbios that limits how much power the card can use. If you look at the green bar in your screenshot it says perflimit pwr which means you've hit the power cap. If you add up the power draw from the PCIE slot, and both 8 pins it's 319.1 with your TDP limit being at 320. That's why it isn't boosting anymore. If you want to raise that number download MSI Afterburner and max the power limit bar. It should go up to 105 to 110% depending on the model. That should get you closer to 2GHz, but your card stock is already boosting really good.
You can get it here:
https://www.guru3d.com/download/msi-afterburner-beta-download/

Today's GPU clocks are dependent on 3 factors. Power limit, temperature, and voltage in that order. The card will automatically raise or lower the clock speed based on a curve of these parameters. Even though every card has a "stock" rated boost limit, pretty much all cards will go above this due to GPU boost. If you raise your power limit to the highest the bar will go, set your GPU fan manually to 80%, you'll get the highest stable boost clock your card can maintain that will be limited to power limit and GPU voltage limits.

Sorry for late replies, I'm being slammed with after Christmas upgrades and builds from customers.

Back
Top Bottom