win 10

Well that sounds good in theory ,but I have the software on 2 computers- and I cant download it by myself on another one- you have to have a password sent to you - apparently people were selling the software to their buddies , so the company had to put a stop to that. SO, I cant really "try it" on a different PC other than the ones I use everyday and need to work properly. I guess I could lie to them and say that I had a PC die and purchased a new one so I need to download it to a new PC. But- I wont do that.
See if they offer a test version to run.

remember guys- I am NOT an IT guy, I have no education in programming and self taught the little bit of stuff that I do know.

You don't need an education in programming. Programming =/= IT. Sounds like you either need to learn how to do it properly, or hire an IT contractor to get your company's computer system / network setup properly.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is technical debt. IT is all overhead and costs, there's no "profit" or revenue coming from IT. But it's a necessary expenditure. If you don't get setup properly and are running on a janky setup, then when it comes time where you need to upgrade...it will basically be impossible without hiring an outside consultant / contractor. Technical debt it expensive to pay into (meaning upgrading your systems as time goes along in "shorter" bursts), but not paying into it and ignoring it is even worse, because then you just keep digging yourself into a hole.

I wouldn't I don't like their privacy notice that they have. That is just my opinion. I might be switching to Linux completely.

In reply to the article:
Stability - well duh, it was just released, and they're developing the OS in a different way than previously done (using a more Agile approach). However this also means that updates and features will be much more rapid in coming down to end users.

Mandatory Updates - Only for Home Users. Pro users can defer updates and Enterprise users can rely on their own WSUS. The average person that's a Home user will be fine. As for the broken graphics driver that was pushed out...that was during the Insider Preview phase still.

Brutal Enforcement Policies - those time frames seem very reasonable. 1 month for home users, 8 months for Pro? Definitely. Gives time to test and any bugs with updates would get ironed out within the first week or so.

Privacy - Disable the stuff you don't need and instead of choosing "Express Settings" actually go through and read what is being enabled. I like how people freak out about Windows doing this, but nobody bats an eye at Android or iOS if they collect info.

Ease of Use - this is subjective. I found WIn8 to be very easy to use and user friendly. Same with the time I spent using Win10.

Lost Features - very small minority of people using Media Center. Native DVD playback wasn't in Win8 either, so why bring it up now like it's still a lost feature? Payment required to remove apps? Uhh...no. I think they mean payment to remove ads from apps like Solitaire. But guess what! You can always install other apps just like you could before! Crazy right?!

Broadband Hog - I posted the FAQ to this in the Official Windows 10 thread. I suggest giving it a read. Win10 is upfront about it - it says exactly what the settings are doing if you go and read the description. People are lazy and don't want to have to do anything though unfortunately.

The name of my software is Greycat. And no they don't offer it for win10 at all.

Well you're in luck because you can indeed test the software because Microsoft is made Win10 Enterprise available for an evaluation period of 90 days when you install it. So get a spare system, install it, and get to testing :).

I do like windows for it's ease of use, feels snappy too, but I am on the fence about putting 10 on my own personal pc because of questionable privacy issues, If M$ want to use my bandwidth to push updates to others on the net, they should ask me first....There's more about keystroke and search tracking that I can not agree with

I do like windows for it's ease of use, feels snappy too, but I am on the fence about putting 10 on my own personal pc because of questionable privacy issues, If M$ want to use my bandwidth to push updates to others on the net, they should ask me first....There's more about keystroke and search tracking that I can not agree with

Then don't click "Express Settings" during the install process.

I am aware of that...it's why I stated that I am on the fence about installing 10 on my personal pc...Should I trust M$ to do what they say? ....not sure yet

IMO if you're that worried about privacy issues...switch to Linux so you can comb through the source code and make sure nothing naughty is happening there.

Mandatory Updates - Only for Home Users. Pro users can defer updates and Enterprise users can rely on their own WSUS. The average person that's a Home user will be fine. As for the broken graphics driver that was pushed out...that was during the Insider Preview phase still.

Yeah... If WSUS wasn't picking Win10 up as Vista, then MAYBE, just MAYBE WSUS would work... Just saying, there's a good chunk of users still trying to figure out Win10 and WSUS and what's going on there, because WSUS shows 10 in the products catalog, but detects Win10 machines as Vista machines...

Then I'd assume there will be an update to WSUS at some point in time. I'm sure most companies are still in testing phase of Win10 and not batch rolling out upgrades company wide as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom