win 10

chara33

Daemon Poster
Should I upgrade to win 10 using a legit copy of win 8.1? Will all my programs be compatible or will some lose their function? Would I be better off doing a completer new install when it comes up?

thx

Should I upgrade to win 10 using a legit copy of win 8.1?
Versus using a non-legit version?

Will all my programs be compatible or will some lose their function?
If your programs are working on Win8, then they should probably work fine on Win10. Install the Insider Preview on another partition or in a VM and install your programs in it to see if they work or not. All depends on the application.

Would I be better off doing a completer new install when it comes up?

thx
The upgrade will do an in-place upgrade. After that, you have the option of doing a fresh install through the Recovery menu, where you can Refresh/Reset your install to a fresh copy (just like how you can do in Win8). It's not currently known yet whether or not you'll be able to just install from an ISO using some kind of key or not.

It's not currently known yet whether or not you'll be able to just install from an ISO using some kind of key or not.

If I remember right, Microsoft will offer an ISO download and you can do a restore via that if the hard drive goes up in flames... During activation
Will I get a product key, can I get a product key?
By default, Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one even after Windows 10 has completed setup.
How to activate the latest Windows 10 build - Microsoft Community
Microsoft tells me that it will be possible to do so. And that a key part of this process is that it will save a product key tied to the previously upgraded PC or device in Windows Store. This is how Windows 10 will later know that the install is allowed: It's “one of the benefits of the new delivery system,” a Microsoft representative told me.
Source: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3898/a-few-more-answers-about-windows-10-upgrades

Will ISO media be provided for the final release?
Yes, you will be able to download ISO media for Windows 10 RTM.
Please note, you might have to download the appropriate edition of Windows 10 for the version/edition of Windows you are upgrading. If you upgrade to the wrong edition, ie. Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro, you will have to purchase a license for Windows 10 Pro or go back to Windows 7 Home Premium and upgrade to Windows 10 Home.
What are the editions of Windows 10 available?

Suppose I need to reinstall Windows 10 after one or two years from now or I install a new hard disk?
Windows 10 is registered to the device, not your hard disk. Just install a new hard disk and reinstall Windows 10 and it will reactivate.

That makes me think that yes, there will be a way to easily restore an upgraded system if the installation goes belly up for any reason.

Thanks for the link c0rr0sive, hadn't heard that yet.

Still wish it was just a license key though.

Thanks for the link c0rr0sive, hadn't heard that yet.

Still wish it was just a license key though.

Going through the upgrade process gives you a Windows 10 license key, doesn't it? So then you can do a clean install using that key

Going through the upgrade process gives you a Windows 10 license key, doesn't it? So then you can do a clean install using that key

I meant they don't just say "Hey, here's the license key."

Yes it'll give you a license (I assume), but you'll have to upgrade and use a tool to retrieve/extract your Win10 key.

Well, in theory, if you have a supported UEFI BIOS, you won't have to put the key in what so ever during a re-install of the OS, the system will be like, "Oh, hey, sure, I see my data right here on the motherboard".

Been doing the insider preview on a spare pc here, three builds this week, two within the past day. Currently getting build 10162 and M$ is stating this is one of the better builds so far. RTM is less than 4 weeks away

Been doing the insider preview on a spare pc here, three builds this week, two within the past day. Currently getting build 10162 and M$ is stating this is one of the better builds so far. RTM is less than 4 weeks away

Wow I just updated to 10159 the other day lol. It was definitely nice - I'll have to check the changelogs for 10162 to see what else they changed.

Back
Top Bottom