Why I think Ubuntu 12.10 Sucks

I'd say downloading something on GNU/Linux is easier than on Windows as most of the time it's just a single command like "apt-get install" or through whatever package manager is installed. However distros like Ubuntu tend to hide a lot of Linux' strengths, which aren't the GUI.

Saying it sucks because applications that weren't made for Linux, like a lot of games, don't work on Linux doesn't make much sense. Especially considering games that have been natively developed for Linux, often run with better performance.

That's not to say that Linux doesn't have its shortcomings but you can't compare Linux and Windows and say that either one of them sucks based on a short initial experience.

I wouldn't say that Ubuntu hides any of Linux strengths, if you want to use Linux in a more traditional manor then you are familiar with how the command line works or you will learn. If you are the user who is tired of using windows but does not want to move to a Apple product then Ubuntu gives that ease of use for that user who would never even open terminal. We have plenty of Linux flavors for the kind of person wanting to use the command line, it is nice to have one that is for the rest.

I'm not sure I agree with the Ubuntu hiding strengths comment. It's hiding nothing at all, I would argue. My server is Ubuntu Server 12.04.1. It has no GUI, and it's one of the most stable and functional servers I've ever ran.

My desktop and laptop of course run the GUI version. I spend a significant amount of time in the terminal on those systems. The interesting thing about the terminal is when I hop on a Fedora machine or any other Linux machine, it's all the same.

I guess "hide" wasn't the right word, but since Ubuntu 11.04 I felt like I wasn't running a Linux distro until I launched the terminal. I've always considered it a good thing that unix based operating systems forces one to at least know the basics of how the system works, and for beginners it might hold them back to some extend in terms of expanding their knowledge.

But I guess this mostly applies to a GUI like unity or "bloat" in general, and not ubuntu specifically.

I guess "hide" wasn't the right word, but since Ubuntu 11.04 I felt like I wasn't running a Linux distro until I launched the terminal. I've always considered it a good thing that unix based operating systems forces one to at least know the basics of how the system works, and for beginners it might hold them back to some extend in terms of expanding their knowledge.

But I guess this mostly applies to a GUI like unity or "bloat" in general, and not ubuntu specifically.

Well you have to think that Canonical is not really pushing for a learning distro, I personally feel like a good beginner desktop for learning the command line is Fedora since it comes pretty stripped down and requires you to install what packages you need and the app installer can be quiet a headache which in most cases it is just easier to you terminal.

Back
Top Bottom