What's Better for Animation PC or Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't like Windows then try Linux ;). Those programs won't work on *nix (unless they work under WINE or have a Linux version), but you can always use it as your everyday OS, and then use Windows as your media OS.

I can run two OS's at once? I've always wanted to use Linux since everyone says it's the best....well usually at least. How can I run two OS's at once on my PC?

Yes you can run multiple OS's at once. I triple boot on my laptop (Vista/Ubuntu/Kubuntu), and triple boot on my desktop (Win7 Beta/XP/Ubuntu).

Assuming you're running Vista (if not, pick the correct OS from the dropdown box):
How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

Note: Ubuntu is just one distribution of Linux versions...many many more out there, Ubunutu is just the most common.

So it's like they're both running at once when my PC's on? Does this eat away from my memory, CPU, or other cards?

Also I don't have Vista but XP but you already stated that I should select the correct OS from the dropdown box.

That guide can be used no matter if you are running Vista/XP/Win7 or Win95. The steps will be the exact same no matter what version of Windows you are using.

Linux is better at some things while Windows excels at others.

Just as OS X excels at some things.

Each person has their own preference. If you really pay attention to those people that say Linux is better you will see that they are OpenSource people. I have used both. I still prefer Windows. there are somethings i can do in Linux that i cant in Windows, but by far i can do more in Windows.

It is your own preference to what you like and you use. Each person will have a different felling.

That guide can be used no matter if you are running Vista/XP/Win7 or Win95. The steps will be the exact same no matter what version of Windows you are using.

Each person has their own preference. If you really pay attention to those people that say Linux is better you will see that they are OpenSource people. I have used both. I still prefer Windows. there are somethings i can do in Linux that i cant in Windows, but by far i can do more in Windows.

It is your own preference to what you like and you use. Each person will have a different felling.

QFT, there isn't a "better" OS. Linux has some major drawbacks, but so does windows and Mac OS. It comes down to preference. If you do run Linux be prepared to learn to play new games. Very few windows titles are ported to linux and very few work in emulation, and if they do they are slow.

I see thanks for the post.

I'm just curious to as of the benefits and drawbacks of each of the 3 OS's if one of you would kindly list a short list please.

To the poster below Mak idc about games due to me having a Windows based powerhouse PC already.

Windows: games and better application support
Linux: free and if you are a coder, you can change it
Mac OS: its pretty? if you are in the entertainment industry or into content creation mac skillz are a must.

Windows: games and better application support
Linux: free and if you are a coder, you can change it
Mac OS: its pretty? if you are in the entertainment industry or into content creation mac skillz are a must.

So the only thing OS X offers is that it's pretty and is used in the entertainment industry? I've always heard that OS X is more polished then Windows OS though (which is the primary reason why I want to move away from Windows because of all the little minor problems that appear from time to time).

Well mac OS isn't bad, don't get me wrong. I use it every day. I just find that it isn't particularly strong in any one area. At least not since the adobe software on PCs started to match the mac software. It used to be that Macs were the only way to go if you were doing professional content work. That is no longer true. One of the biggest "advantages" macs are touted to have is their security. Which is a complete myth. Macs rely on security through obscurity. They have such a small market share that nobody writes viruses for them. And when they do it takes Apple a painfully long time to do something about it. My every day laptop is a powerbook but I never do anything sensitive on it. Not when I can easily access all the mac's files around me in Linux. Most mac users don't know how vulnerable they really are.

Well I'm just going to use the laptop only for school work and browsing online. So what would be the best OS for that?

Also can someone lists some of the strengths for Mac? Sorry I'm just curious to hear different opinions on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom