What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Major difference between you guys and me, money. I don't have the cash to blow on drives just for backup purposes.
THAT is a valid reason not to have one. Not "ooh I have a magical drive that I can absolutely guarantee will never fail coz I so pro"
And with yalls logic, the backup drives could fail at the same time making it all moot.
..no words.
edit: boss walks in. Double facepalming happening here XD

I had a long post typed up, but deleted and said forget it. I will use my drives with confidence in a personal environment and you guys can use your backup systems and multiple drives for your work environment.
:Haters:

Cool!

Bought pizza for the family and some replacement screws for my old Noctua D14, gonna remount it in my bro's PC as an upgrade.

Major difference between you guys and me, money. I don't have the cash to blow on drives just for backup purposes. And with yalls logic, the backup drives could fail at the same time making it all moot.

Yeah but for you to lose data all you need is one drive to fail. For the setup I described multiple drives would need to be lost in the RAID arrays and the tape backups would need to be destroyed. That is an order of magnitude less likely to happen than losing data from a single drive failure.

I obviously don't have a setup like that at home for cost reasons but you can still have a good backup system without spending much money. Simply duplicating your most important files will at least protect you from a drive failure and costs nothing.

Also SSDs don't suffer any wear from reads.

Yeah but for you to lose data all you need is one drive to fail. For the setup I described multiple drives would need to be lost in the RAID arrays and the tape backups would need to be destroyed. That is an order of magnitude less likely to happen than losing data from a single drive failure.

I obviously don't have a setup like that at home for cost reasons but you can still have a good backup system without spending much money. Simply duplicating your most important files will at least protect you from a drive failure and costs nothing.

Also SSDs don't suffer any wear from reads.
Each drive in my server has less than 8GB remaining because I can't afford even a 500GB drive right now. I simply can't afford the paranoia. My pictures folder itself is over 120GB.

They suffer from writes though. Last time I checked backing up required writes.

Each drive in my server has less than 8GB remaining because I can't afford even a 500GB drive right now. I simply can't afford the paranoia. My pictures folder itself is over 120GB.

They suffer from writes though. Last time I checked backing up required writes.

Seeing as the SSDs are what I am backing up they won't have anything extra written to them. That said SSDs writes don't concern me anyways. If they last 5 years I will be happy and buy new ones then.

I just don't like how with iOS on the iPad there is so much space wasted because of the 4x4 grid of apps. I really like the grid of 5x4 apps on my iPhone (jailbreak ftw), it's quick and simple and that's all I look for in a phone but Apple has so much more screen space to work with on the iPad yet they do nothing with it.

That's what jailbreaking is for. ;D

Back
Top Bottom