What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Not in pro-audio. They sell to guys like me who don't have a huge truck (anymore) and can fit a pair of powered 15s in the backseat and the rest in the trunk. Most of the time the amp put in them things are cheap low grade class D amps and the speaker usually has a higher wattage value than the amp. They also normally don't come with a fan or ventilation of any kind so wind up overheating half the time. That grad party I talked about before one of our speakers went out. I had to switch amps between the 2 cabs because his other one had a blown horn. I was then deemed the party saver lol.

High ****in five man. That is the better model to what I have in my Cerwins. Stupid ridiculous power in one speaker. I have the 15" lowmax that we used to have in the trunk of our Cavalier :wtf:

A buddy of mine was using one of those at a gig a few years back.. I had to have one.. Sold a bunch of stuff to get the cash up, and it was totally worth it. That driver has yet to let me down.

Maybe crappy amps in those things, but when it comes to getting as flat a response as possible powered speakers are always going to have an advantage. Top end monitors are anywhere from £5000 to £20000 each and they are all active, they are also ridiculously flat.

For HiFi speakers where you don't really care about a flat response then yes passive is better because you can get a very good quality amp with the sound signature you want and to the spec you want. But you'll have a damn hard time pairing passive speakers to an amp and getting it anywhere near as flat as dedicated powered monitors.
Yea you have to realize that all "affordable" PA is not that high of quality. If you want anything exceptionally pro like those monitors you are talking about then you are going to pay out the ass for JBL VRX series which is the studio quality cabs for touring sound. Even then, it's still not the same. It isn't so much the absolute quality you want from PA because you can't get that controlled environment outdoors like you can inside a home or studio. So even if you spent a ridiculous amount to get all "studio grade" items for your PA it wont sound the same. That is why almost all PA amps are Class D and you see most guys get 2 amps, a cross over, 2 tops and 2 bottoms for almost all standard gigs. Most DJs these days have all powered gear to save on needing an amp and EQ rack. Problem with powered gear, is it isn't very powerful. The sub TJ just bought is 1000w max and IIRC 800w peak.. Between my 2 Cerwin subs and my sub amp I have 1300w going to each and can run that all day. 2 subs, 1 amp.

A buddy of mine was using one of those at a gig a few years back.. I had to have one.. Sold a bunch of stuff to get the cash up, and it was totally worth it. That driver has yet to let me down.
Yea they are crazy powerful. Don't forget that those Black Widow speakers have interchangeable magnets. If you actually do blow it just head down and get a new cone for it. Should cost something like 40-80 bucks.

I think you and PP are bassheads for sure.
Me? Not exactly. You have to remember that we DJ mostly outside (least I do) and the great outdoors tends to lose your bass.....a lot. You have to compensate that for power per cab as you don't really want to bring a ton of stuff with you. When I had that ridiculous 15 in the back of our car it was because I worked in an all black neighborhood and I enjoyed seeing their faces when the white boy had more bass.

I lost the power brick for my asus netbook, I didn't know it was lost until we were packing to go out of state. I grabbed one of those universal power bricks that has a half dozen different connectors, got to the room, plugged it in and within an hour my internet addiction became a relaity! It died from a dead battery. That charger wasn't getting it. I found a best buy store and bought a universal netbook charger thinking something but I don't know what because that didn't work either. Now I'm thinking the worst, I killed my netbook by using the first universal charger.
Got back home a few days later and looked for two weeks.....That power brick is mia fore ever. I ordered a new power brick that stated it was specifically for an Asus 1000HE netbook, got it today and plugged it in and.......

It's alive!!!!

it's incredible how stooopid crap like this makes my day

Yea universal power adapters of any sort really aren't that good. I had one for all my 9v stomp boxes (guitar pedals for those not in the know) and it took out the cheaper ones. I later had to replace them and the adapter to something a bit more professional. Also used to have a nice electric keyboard but had to use a universal adapter cause I bought it from a garage sale. Took that out too.

Yea you have to realize that all "affordable" PA is not that high of quality. If you want anything exceptionally pro like those monitors you are talking about then you are going to pay out the ass for JBL VRX series which is the studio quality cabs for touring sound. Even then, it's still not the same. It isn't so much the absolute quality you want from PA because you can't get that controlled environment outdoors like you can inside a home or studio. So even if you spent a ridiculous amount to get all "studio grade" items for your PA it wont sound the same. That is why almost all PA amps are Class D and you see most guys get 2 amps, a cross over, 2 tops and 2 bottoms for almost all standard gigs. Most DJs these days have all powered gear to save on needing an amp and EQ rack. Problem with powered gear, is it isn't very powerful. The sub TJ just bought is 1000w max and IIRC 800w peak.. Between my 2 Cerwin subs and my sub amp I have 1300w going to each and can run that all day. 2 subs, 1 amp.

Me? Not exactly. You have to remember that we DJ mostly outside (least I do) and the great outdoors tends to lose your bass.....a lot. You have to compensate that for power per cab as you don't really want to bring a ton of stuff with you. When I had that ridiculous 15 in the back of our car it was because I worked in an all black neighborhood and I enjoyed seeing their faces when the white boy had more bass.

I only DJ inside for dances. Any other time, I'm outside. I don't pay out the ass for "studio" quality stuff, because it won't sound the same as it does inside. PP, do you buy stuff from Seismic Audio? They seem to have some pretty good deals, and I need new speakers.

Pair Dual 15" PA Speakers | 15 Inch DJ LoudSpeakers | Dual 15" Band Speakers | Dual 15" Karaoke Loud Speakers | Dual 15" Church Speakers

I only DJ inside for dances. Any other time, I'm outside. I don't pay out the ass for "studio" quality stuff, because it won't sound the same as it does inside. PP, do you buy stuff from Seismic Audio? They seem to have some pretty good deals, and I need new speakers.

Pair Dual 15" PA Speakers | 15 Inch DJ LoudSpeakers | Dual 15" Band Speakers | Dual 15" Karaoke Loud Speakers | Dual 15" Church Speakers
Every place you play at will sound different. A sound man that can cope for each is what makes one good.

I only shop at Mr. E's for pro discount under my dads name.
On that note, I now own a couple of Beringer powered speakers, a DJ mixer, and a karaoke machine. My friend is moving to Austin so he is selling me his stuff so I can work out of my car.

That's kind of what I was trying to imply. No need to pay a huge amount of money to do something you should be able to do anyways.
Indeed. For stuff that was in a fire, old as hell, and put back together probably 3 times each pieces life I think I do pretty well.

I guess you can say I just bought this stuff to stay on topic.

2x Behringer B212a cabs
1 CD Player
1 Behringer DJ mixer
1 Karaoke DVD machine
1 stand and case
1 table

and I'm adding my personal
Behringer Feedback Destroyer and 2x SM58s.

Just bought some groceries and some silicon to try and fix a leak in my car. Just do a temp job so I stop having a puddle in my passenger area.

Back
Top Bottom