What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Bought a bunch of stuff today for the neighborhood 4th of July party this year. My house this year. Last year between neighbors, family, and friends, we had about 300 people crammed onto a 3 acre lot. This year there will be even more. Can't wait.

Ordered 5 of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Solo-18-Ounce...8&qid=1340329823&sr=1-3&keywords=red+solo+cup

Got one of these:

Amazon.com: American Audio Pxw18P 18 Inch Powered Subwoofer: Musical Instruments

Heard good things about it, and I could use an extra. Gotta have 2 18's going for the party.

Thinking about building an outdoor bar on my deck? Anyone else have one?

Bought a bunch of stuff today for the neighborhood 4th of July party this year. My house this year. Last year between neighbors, family, and friends, we had about 300 people crammed onto a 3 acre lot. This year there will be even more. Can't wait.

Ordered 5 of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Solo-18-Ounce...8&qid=1340329823&sr=1-3&keywords=red+solo+cup

Got one of these:

Amazon.com: American Audio Pxw18P 18 Inch Powered Subwoofer: Musical Instruments

Heard good things about it, and I could use an extra. Gotta have 2 18's going for the party.

I'm not a huge fan of self powered things as I've blown a few up before. Got a few custom made Cerwin cabs packed with 3200w Peavey Black Widow 18s.

Edit: I have personally used a pair of these before. Not bad.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-pv-118d-powered-subwoofer

Hey Pete, I noticed the Vapir listed there; I presume it's just for aromatherapy?

Actually I'm buying it as a gift for my friend/ his father, his is all messed up, has to be plugged in all the time because something happened with the connection/battery/something. Lol.

I'm not a huge fan of self powered things as I've blown a few up before. Got a few custom made Cerwin cabs packed with 3200w Peavey Black Widow 18s.

Peavey PV 118D Powered Subwoofer | Musician's Friend

Hmm. Powered speakers are usually better sonically, because if done right, the amp and driver are perfectly paired and designed around each other. Thats why most good monitor speakers are active.

Ordered 5 of these:

Got one of these:

****, $700 on a subwoofer just for a party ? I love all things audio but that is a little crazy..

If a subwoofers not REL it's not worth getting, anyway. Cheapskate !

http://www.nintronics.co.uk/product/speakers/speakers-subwoofers/relstudio3?option=relstudio3rn

I heard one of these in a local hifi shop, and I have never heard a subwoofer that comes close to this day.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-pv-118d-powered-subwoofer

I normally don't either, but I got a good deal on it so I figured I'd try it. If I don't like it, I'll just sell it. I make my own sub cabs. I have 3 right now, one of them has this in it:

Amazon.com: Peavey 18 Inch Low Max Subwoofer 18 Inch 8 Ohm Subwoofer Speaker: Musical Instruments

I can't remember what models are in the other two of the top of my head, I have to check. I recently changed parts of my rig, and I'm thinking of replacing the whole aging thing.

Hmm. Powered speakers are usually better sonically, because if done right, the amp and driver are perfectly paired and designed around each other. Thats why most good monitor speakers are active.

****, $700 on a subwoofer just for a party ? I love all things audio but that is a little crazy..

Not just for the party; I need new subs anyway. But I also like to impress when people come over. I want them to leave and not be able to hear right for a few hours. :big_grin:

If a subwoofers not REL it's not worth getting, anyway. Cheapskate !

Nintronics - REL Studio III Reference Subwoofer

I heard one of these in a local hifi shop, and I have never heard a subwoofer that comes close to this day.
Not in pro-audio. They sell to guys like me who don't have a huge truck (anymore) and can fit a pair of powered 15s in the backseat and the rest in the trunk. Most of the time the amp put in them things are cheap low grade class D amps and the speaker usually has a higher wattage value than the amp. They also normally don't come with a fan or ventilation of any kind so wind up overheating half the time. That grad party I talked about before one of our speakers went out. I had to switch amps between the 2 cabs because his other one had a blown horn. I was then deemed the party saver lol.

I normally don't either, but I got a good deal on it so I figured I'd try it. If I don't like it, I'll just sell it. I make my own sub cabs. I have 3 right now, one of them has this in it:

Amazon.com: Peavey 18 Inch Low Max Subwoofer 18 Inch 8 Ohm Subwoofer Speaker: Musical Instruments

I can't remember what models are in the other two of the top of my head, I have to check. I recently changed parts of my rig, and I'm thinking of replacing the whole aging thing.
High ****in five man. That is the better model to what I have in my Cerwins. Stupid ridiculous power in one speaker. I have the 15" lowmax that we used to have in the trunk of our Cavalier :wtf:

I'll take a pic of my mate's setup when I go over to his house next. Car and room both have massive subs and amps everywhere; when you talk and it's playing the right frequency, your voice literally starts to sound choppy like you're speaking into a fan.

Not in pro-audio. They sell to guys like me who don't have a huge truck (anymore) and can fit a pair of powered 15s in the backseat and the rest in the trunk. Most of the time the amp put in them things are cheap low grade class D amps and the speaker usually has a higher wattage value than the amp. They also normally don't come with a fan or ventilation of any kind so wind up overheating half the time. That grad party I talked about before one of our speakers went out. I had to switch amps between the 2 cabs because his other one had a blown horn. I was then deemed the party saver lol.

High ****in five man. That is the better model to what I have in my Cerwins. Stupid ridiculous power in one speaker. I have the 15" lowmax that we used to have in the trunk of our Cavalier :wtf:

Maybe crappy amps in those things, but when it comes to getting as flat a response as possible powered speakers are always going to have an advantage. Top end monitors are anywhere from £5000 to £20000 each and they are all active, they are also ridiculously flat.

For HiFi speakers where you don't really care about a flat response then yes passive is better because you can get a very good quality amp with the sound signature you want and to the spec you want. But you'll have a damn hard time pairing passive speakers to an amp and getting it anywhere near as flat as dedicated powered monitors.

Back
Top Bottom