What You've Just Bought!

My nvme drive + enclosure has arrived! PC at work doesn't have a USB-C port so I've had to use the c-a adaptor which limits the connection to 5Gbps. 100% solid 500MB/s copy though, line never dipped or fluctuated even slightly copying a few movie files. I'm pretty psyched with that already :p can't wait to test it on a proper 10gbps port.

edit: tested plugging it into a MBP. When it works, holy damn it's fast. 1GB write speeds confirmed :p

Downside; for some reason it's only working 1/5th of the times that I plug it in. 4/5 times the blue light will come on weakly/barely and the drive will never mount. 1/5 times the blue light comes on strong instantly and the drive mounts a couple seconds later. o_O

Guessing the cable might be ****ed as it came pretty pinched in the middle? Or wonder if it's the Simplecom chip fighting with Apple :/ either way it's basically useless on a Mac thus far. Sighee. Gonna get a properly certified usb-c data cable and retest

I fell into this trap. Turns out not all USB-C cables are created equal. E.g. even the Apple USB-C cable shipped with the iPad Pro is really only for charging only. If you try and do data transfer, it's just ****ty slow USB 2.0 speed. If you you want a fully certified cable with 10Gbps and full power capabilities you have to literally make sure it specifically lists those exact specs and that it's a reliable trusted manufacturer because half of the generic cables on Amazon they just flat out lie, you can usually tell the good ones because they're quite expensive and the cable is pretty thick, like 4mm or so. I bought an Anker one in the end, and got full 10Gbps speed.

Even then, they are finicky. My Anker cable works fine with the USB-C port on my dads Fuji X-T3 camera. But the branded USB-C cable he bought doesn't work at all, it's just not recognized. I also have two USB-C SD card readers, they both let me transfer pictures to my iPad Pro, but only one lets me transfer video. Flaky as hell.

Last edited:
^ I like Anker; good stuff. Bought a big battery pack through them a couple summers ago (20kmAh), and then they had some promo going on where I could pick a free item from a limited selection; so I picked a little 5kmAh battery pack. I keep it in my coat pocket with me everywhere I go since it's small enough. Have had to use it several times in a pinch before. Out taking milky way photographs with a photographer friend at about 10PM in winter in the middle of the country - no lights at all. We had to walk in a field and his flashlight sucked lol. Phone battery was low bc no cell signal (so it was draining quick), so was trying not to use the flashlight continuously. Remembered I had my little charger tho so that helped a lot.

^ I like Anker; good stuff. Bought a big battery pack through them a couple summers ago (20kmAh), and then they had some promo going on where I could pick a free item from a limited selection; so I picked a little 5kmAh battery pack. I keep it in my coat pocket with me everywhere I go since it's small enough. Have had to use it several times in a pinch before. Out taking milky way photographs with a photographer friend at about 10PM in winter in the middle of the country - no lights at all. We had to walk in a field and his flashlight sucked lol. Phone battery was low bc no cell signal (so it was draining quick), so was trying not to use the flashlight continuously. Remembered I had my little charger tho so that helped a lot.
The cool thing about vaping is my mods use the same battery as my flash light. 18650. So I ALWAYS have batteries on tap.

I also bought this little flood lamp utility light thing that can charge off USB and keep a Stanley jumper in my car with a 12v output and USB output.

The cool thing about vaping is my mods use the same battery as my flash light. 18650. So I ALWAYS have batteries on tap.

I also bought this little flood lamp utility light thing that can charge off USB and keep a Stanley jumper in my car with a 12v output and USB output.

We used his bright-*** light stands at first, but after we got those set up we had to use our phones to walk around if we needed to adjust stuff.

Not "bought" so much as paid off, but I'm £200/mo better off as of next paycheque, having finished paying off a long-unpaid set of utility bills.

Aiming to buy next month an 8-port 802.11at PoE switch so I can power both my APs and two Raspberry Pis in one easy to manage setup.

Bought flights & acc in Kuching, Malaysia. Going over for 3 days for a friend's wedding, the flights coupled with the weather should mean it's gonna be a pretty brutal experience :p gotta be one of my least favourite destinations where weather is concerned. Looking forward to the food though xD ~$800AUD total which I figure isn't too bad for short return flights and 3 days in a hotel; could've shaved nearly a couple hundred off if I'd taken the 19-20hr flight options instead of the 9hr ones, but fuuuuuuuuck that tbh :grin: an extra 20 hours of layover and longer flight routes ain't worth it.

Also found out my passport expires in 10 days tho, so tack another $300 for the 10 year renewal T_T

Last edited:
Not "bought" so much as paid off, but I'm £200/mo better off as of next paycheque, having finished paying off a long-unpaid set of utility bills.

Aiming to buy next month an 8-port 802.11at PoE switch so I can power both my APs and two Raspberry Pis in one easy to manage setup.
PoE is one of those things you don't need until you have it and realize how did you live all that time without it.

PoE is one of those things you don't need until you have it and realize how did you live all that time without it.

More so for work than home for me.

Whenever I plug a VOIP phone in only to realise the port is patched into the old non PoE switch, I die a little inside, as I have to spend 30 minutes finding a suitable 48v power adapter. Yes 48v, ****ing stupid phone manufacturer couldn't just have used a normal 12v DC 1 amp connector. Smh. And then I find one and there isn't a spare plug socket, so I have to grab another extension cable and re-wire half a dozen PCs to free up a plug socket. Fml.

Back
Top Bottom