What You've Just Bought!

The ****ty thing about it is aside from a few PCs in the house it's the only device that will do 4K HDR high bitrate content off my server. Everything else I need to drop to 1080p 20Mb.

I've been using a Pi 3B+ with OSMC loaded onto it (with EmbyCon to connect to my Jellyfin server) for a few months. Doesn't do 4K but eh, that doesn't bother me. They have a 4K+ set top box, but I had some extra RPi's laying around :tongue:

I've been using a Pi 3B+ with OSMC loaded onto it (with EmbyCon to connect to my Jellyfin server) for a few months. Doesn't do 4K but eh, that doesn't bother me. They have a 4K+ set top box, but I had some extra RPi's laying around :tongue:

I feel so very corporate compared to you - my homelab is on ESXI 6.7 with a Palo Alto VM firewall and Windows Server 2016 for AD :p Need to start pushing the Linux more at home.

Last edited:
I feel so very corporate compared to you - my homelab is on ESXI 6.7 with a Palo Alto VM firewall and Windows Server 2016 for AD :p Need to start pushing the Linux more at home.

:lol: yeah I used to have an enterprise-ey setup at home...
Server 2016 AD / DNS / DHCP
tftp pxe boot server with custom kickstart files to automate image deployment (joined to the domain, added to my guac server, etc)
Veeam for backups
Ran on vSphere Enterprise Plus (yay VMUG!) so it had all the fancy HA and vmotion features

It was quite nice. But I'm one of those "open source" people. I use FOSS when I can.

Now it's
isc-dhcp for DHCP
bind for DNS
a docker VM for those lame projects that only have docker support
lxc templates for automated deployments
Proxmox built in backups (works really well. Doesn't do incremental, but eh I have the disk space to spare)
On the up side, I never have to worry about licenses.
My last piece of closed source software is Plex and I plan on decomming that when Jellyfin has offline media storage on iPad, unless I switch over to an Android tablet before that happens.

And it's rock solid: 99.926% (last 30 days) uptime. The only recorded downtime is my backups that cause the container to freeze and stop responding :tongue:

The next thing I really want to set up is FreeIPA or RedHat's identity management service.

self-hosting is kinda my main hobby nowadays
That and Linux. Not a single Windows box at home.

What the **** do you do with it all ? why do you need all that jazz at home ?

Im quite happy doing all that cool stuff at work, having a really seamless build system and so on is nice and useful at work. But i've no idea why you need a pxe image building system, dhcp servers and **** at home. Wtf are you doing lol ?

Yeaaah, the day I replicate my work at my home is the day I shoot myself tbh :p at home I need a media center (my PC), an NVR (unifi), and...that's it. If I have to do work ****, I remote into the servers at work

What the **** do you do with it all ? why do you need all that jazz at home ?

Im quite happy doing all that cool stuff at work, having a really seamless build system and so on is nice and useful at work. But i've no idea why you need a pxe image building system, dhcp servers and **** at home. Wtf are you doing lol ?

Entirely a learning experience. At work I'd rarely get the chance to spin an environment up from scratch.
Plus for development having a pxe server / automated build process is INSANELY useful. Need to test something? 3 minutes later I have a brand new CentOS or Ubuntu box ready and waiting.

Now I can get an entire enterprise setup done with a domain controller, working DNS / DHCP, an HA ESXi cluster, with network and endpoint monitoring (Graylog/Splunk, Grafana with InfluxDB, Nagios, LibreNMS, etc) with relative ease, including auotmatically adding all endpoints to monitoring and to the domain. I still have the volume with all my ESX stuff on it, but I don't use it anymore... Proxmox does everything I need. I have a crap ton of stuff hosted at home.

copy-pasta from another site:
Wallabag - A ReadItLater Clone
Web - Apache2 web proxy for exposing my various items externally
Grafana - Usage statistics from Proxmox, imports some data from MySQL box for other things.
Minecraft-test - Minecraft server for testing builds of Spigot
Searx - Search engine that aggregates multiple other engines
Jellyfin - Emby fork! Runs very well, totally FOSS
Cloud9- Online IDE
mc-proxy - A box for proxying my various Minecraft servers a la apache virtlahosts
Ansible - Linux server automation tool. Stays up to date with my Proxmox hosts so all new VM / containers are automatically added.
Bind - DNS server
Shinobi- Self-hosted security system. Works great, has motion detection enabled that will execute a python script to send an email to me with a screenshot of the motion.
MySQL - A MySQL server. A few Python web scrapers run here to import data to the MySQL database for trend analysis. Most importantly, EVE Online ore prices on the market. :tongue:
Guacamole - HTML5 RDP client
Synapse - Backend for Matrix and Riot.im chat service
XRDP - A container that I use with Guacamole - Hosts a small desktop with XRDP
Mayan-EDMS - Mayan Electronic Document Management System, indexes my physical records in an easily searchable interface
Gitlab - Git repos for my various projects
Minecraft - My OG minecraft server
Graylog - Log aggregation and analytics box. I import all VM logs and apache logs. Stats on 404 errors, what Ip addresses are accessing my web server, etc.
Docker - A VM that hosts a few Docker containers...
PlexTogether - Used to watch Plex synced over the internet with others.
Collabora/CODE - Google Docs / Sheets / etc self-hosted replacement
Portainer - Web UI for Docker
Draw.io - Used for diagrams in NextCloud
Calibre - Self-hosted ebook organizer and reader
RSS - TinyTinyRSS box. My first self-hosted endeavour on Proxmox! it's survived by me for almost half a decade now.
Plex - Plex video server. Will be decommissioning this soon.
ISC-DHCP - DHCP Server
Duplicati - Duplicati server used to back up things to Backblaze B2
Minecraft-hard - My "hard" Minecraft server. Turned up the difficulty
Orion - Self-hosted location tracking software.
Airsonic - Self-hosted music player. I use it for podcasts
Chat - Riot.im front-end for Matrix / Synapse
NextCloud - NextCloud 13 box (Out of date, I know, but some of my plugins haven't even updated for 14 yet :( )
Confluence - Atlassian Confluence box - Hosts my wiki, VERY nice. Can't recommend this enough
CentOS7 VM - used as an RDP client in my local network.
Workhorse - Various automation scripts run here.
PfSense - The router / openvpn server for my VPN network.
+6 more VMs on the VPN only network, including a second Ansible box for automation.

To boot, all this only uses ~60GB's of RAM when fully booted. I <3 containers :tongue:
https://grafana.ifargle.com/dashboard/snapshot/BQf7KJKxiePd5EVinP6xPB6VVo86bZcf?orgId=0

Entirely a learning experience. At work I'd rarely get the chance to spin an environment up from scratch.
Plus for development having a pxe server / automated build process is INSANELY useful. Need to test something? 3 minutes later I have a brand new CentOS or Ubuntu box ready and waiting.

Now I can get an entire enterprise setup done with a domain controller, working DNS / DHCP, an HA ESXi cluster, with network and endpoint monitoring (Graylog/Splunk, Grafana with InfluxDB, Nagios, LibreNMS, etc) with relative ease, including auotmatically adding all endpoints to monitoring and to the domain. I still have the volume with all my ESX stuff on it, but I don't use it anymore... Proxmox does everything I need. I have a crap ton of stuff hosted at home.

copy-pasta from another site:
Wallabag - A ReadItLater Clone
Web - Apache2 web proxy for exposing my various items externally
Grafana - Usage statistics from Proxmox, imports some data from MySQL box for other things.
Minecraft-test - Minecraft server for testing builds of Spigot
Searx - Search engine that aggregates multiple other engines
Jellyfin - Emby fork! Runs very well, totally FOSS
Cloud9- Online IDE
mc-proxy - A box for proxying my various Minecraft servers a la apache virtlahosts
Ansible - Linux server automation tool. Stays up to date with my Proxmox hosts so all new VM / containers are automatically added.
Bind - DNS server
Shinobi- Self-hosted security system. Works great, has motion detection enabled that will execute a python script to send an email to me with a screenshot of the motion.
MySQL - A MySQL server. A few Python web scrapers run here to import data to the MySQL database for trend analysis. Most importantly, EVE Online ore prices on the market. :tongue:
Guacamole - HTML5 RDP client
Synapse - Backend for Matrix and Riot.im chat service
XRDP - A container that I use with Guacamole - Hosts a small desktop with XRDP
Mayan-EDMS - Mayan Electronic Document Management System, indexes my physical records in an easily searchable interface
Gitlab - Git repos for my various projects
Minecraft - My OG minecraft server
Graylog - Log aggregation and analytics box. I import all VM logs and apache logs. Stats on 404 errors, what Ip addresses are accessing my web server, etc.
Docker - A VM that hosts a few Docker containers...
PlexTogether - Used to watch Plex synced over the internet with others.
Collabora/CODE - Google Docs / Sheets / etc self-hosted replacement
Portainer - Web UI for Docker
Draw.io - Used for diagrams in NextCloud
Calibre - Self-hosted ebook organizer and reader
RSS - TinyTinyRSS box. My first self-hosted endeavour on Proxmox! it's survived by me for almost half a decade now.
Plex - Plex video server. Will be decommissioning this soon.
ISC-DHCP - DHCP Server
Duplicati - Duplicati server used to back up things to Backblaze B2
Minecraft-hard - My "hard" Minecraft server. Turned up the difficulty
Orion - Self-hosted location tracking software.
Airsonic - Self-hosted music player. I use it for podcasts
Chat - Riot.im front-end for Matrix / Synapse
NextCloud - NextCloud 13 box (Out of date, I know, but some of my plugins haven't even updated for 14 yet :( )
Confluence - Atlassian Confluence box - Hosts my wiki, VERY nice. Can't recommend this enough
CentOS7 VM - used as an RDP client in my local network.
Workhorse - Various automation scripts run here.
PfSense - The router / openvpn server for my VPN network.
+6 more VMs on the VPN only network, including a second Ansible box for automation.

To boot, all this only uses ~60GB's of RAM when fully booted. I <3 containers :tongue:
https://grafana.ifargle.com/dashboard/snapshot/BQf7KJKxiePd5EVinP6xPB6VVo86bZcf?orgId=0

Jesus wept lol

You are the IT nerd king :p

Back
Top Bottom