What to do....???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Everything to Nothing
So as you may have noticed I have been having problems with my newish Dell Studio 1558 (Nov '10). Anyway I gave up trying to fix it and phoned Dell Tech Support.. I told the guy my problems which are as follows...

Sometimes loads default profile instead of mine (no documents, no programs etc), the screen goes a nice shade of green when watching iplayer or youtube occcasionaly, once none of the USB ports worked when I logged on so... I reinstalled Windows. Got a new problem when loading Windows which would say "Interactive Logon Process Initiation Failed" (This happened twice) screen still goes green despite latest ATI drivers AND i flashed the BIOS to the latest version but this had no avail..

Anyway as I was speaking to the guy I mentioned that I had reinstalled Windows. The silence after saying this was incredible, he replies "Sir... we do not recommend our customers installing an operating system" Me..."Well you have instructions on how to do it on your website and I'm sure I am more than capable" He then says that I did a "dirty" install because I formatted the C drive but left the recovery partition. I don't THINK he is correct there as he then went onto say that leaving the recovery partition would result in the same problems occurring?!

So he made me run all these crappy Dell tests which of course said that there are zilch problems with the laptop!! Now hes calling me back between 2 and 4 tomorrow as the call had been going on a long time. WTF!?

I have no idea what to do!!

get a refund and get a proper laptop. just do a full format and reinstall. if that doesn't work then send it back get a refund and get a proper laptop :)

Could I still get a refund as it's still in warranty?? How would I go about returning it? Whole situation is annoying as :p

There is one big difference between being a business customer and a regular customer, when you are registered as a buisness, they treat you better, and dont question your judgement.

I have only had to call dell a few times on some of the stuff I bought from that, and it's usually to figure out there POST codes, which are not standard. Seems that the laptops use the scroll lock, num pad, and caps lock lights as POST indicators, and there are several combos. And every line uses them different x_X

But, I would wipe the drive, and start with a CLEAN install of windows, not just a recovery CD, but an actual copy of windows that has nothing installed on it, then install the drivers and go from there.

it's dell. if you ***** and moan enough and it's still under warranty the least they could do is send you a new laptop and if you ***** and moan even more, they might give you your money back, but that's kinda doubtful.

Thanks for the advice :) What I did originall was format the C drive and leave the recovery partition intact. I'm certin this was as clean install as I had no drivers, no documents... nothing :p I have absololutley no idea what he is going to say to me when he phones tomorrow...

blow away the recovery partition and then reinstall. i don't see why the recovery partition would create an issue on a new install, but who knows.. might as well make use of the extra space.

I shall do that tomorrow :) I really cba to speak to that douche again, if he calls I think I might ignore it...

Well I was at school today when they phoned and it is my Dad's birthday... :p I'm gonna format everything with g-parted then try once more..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom