What program do you recomend that offers you the best real-time protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite would be ESET smart security just because it has a really neat firewall that shows all the programs that are connection to the internet, what IP's they are communicating with, what ports and finally how much traffic has passed all in real time. If it scanned USB keys automatically like Kaspersky then I would really have no hesitations.

MSE is by far the best out there right now. Virus defs are updated every 24 hours and it's realtime protection has saved me from many viruses.

+1 MSE

I have Avast Free antivirus. So far I like it. I didn't try Microsoft Security essentials but it looks like it's good one. I just like Avast free because it seems to be the best all-in-one free antivirus solution. It has features that aren't found in any other free antivirus as far as I've checked.
Avast has Mail Shield , web shield, P2P shield, IM shield ( it says that it scans downloads from instant messaging apps ), network shield and behavior shield.
Does MSE have any of that?

MSE has some of them. It does offer Mail and Web. But if you seriously think about it, why do you need a P2P Shield? What does it offer? The P2P stuff only downloads in parts, so by the time the program figures out that it is infected, it is already fully downloaded to your machine. At that point any decent AV should be kicking in. So a P2P Shield is useless in todays internet.

IM Shield, sadly that is useless as well. Common Sense tells us that you should NEVER click any links in a IM Chat Window. Even those sent to us by friends. As they could be infected and unknowningly sending out the infection. It is the same methodology that should be used when receiving an email. NEVER click the link unless you confirm that it was sent to you by the owner of that address. Even then you should use an online scanner.

Network Shield? For what? Only your PC has Avast, not every machine on the network so what exactly is ir protecting on said network? Not like having this network shield will protect my other PC. In addition to that i know the machines on my network, i know the files. If i am transferring from 1 machine to another, i know the file is safe. Yeah another useless aspect.

Behavior Shield...yeah you already see where this is going. MSE has protection where it is needed. The rest is overkill and redundant. It shouldnt be needed at all. If you feel the need for such items, then you think that such programs can protect you from all things done on the web and that is wrong. They are not full blown protection. They are preventative measures. Kinda like wearing a seat belt in a car. It will help prevent your death in a crash, but it doesnt always happen that way as you can still die. An AV is not going to secure your PC from everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom