What is your worst Helpdesk/Tech Support Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.....so glad the Tech Support days are over for me.
HEHEHE. Memories and horrors...I'll have to conjour one up from a past job......Hmmm which one.....

Oh....got a great one!
A little background...worked for a company back in MD and did installs and tech support for hotel management software piece.
This woman calls up from a hotel in Maine and the call went a little something like this:

LADY: Hey, I just tried to connect to Fidelio Xpress from the front desk and I'm getting an error message that it can't connect.

ME: Ok, are you near the workstation and if so can you try to login and read me the error message that you get?

LADY: Ummm, ok although I don't no how this will help.

ME: (Chewing Gum, playing trashcan basketball)

LADY: Ok, it says that it can't connect or something.

ME: Well, I'd like to get the entire message so that I can better associate the problem.

LADY: Well, I already clicked past it and Fidelio Xpress isn't coming up.

ME: *sigh* Ok, would you like me to dial in and see what's going on?

LADY: YES!

ME: (Dialed in and saw that the workstation had two many disconnects and reconnects that the connection timed out). Ok, this is all that we need to do. Are you still by the computer?

LADY (BECOMING A BIT*H): YES! And I'm busy so can you fix this?

ME: Sure, "We" just need to reboot the client. (Ok, I used "we" as the co-op "we" as in....this lady and I are a team...we are in the trenches together and we're gonna get through it!!!)

BIT*H: So, come on out and do it.

ME: Well, this is something that I can walk you through over the phone. It'll take about 3 minutes.

BIT*H: Look, I don't have that kind of time. This is your job...FIX IT!

ME: I realize it's our software ma'am but this is an easy fix that I can walk you through and we'll be done.

BIT*H: LOOK!! Geezzz...hold on a sec. (Ok, now see didn't even bother to put me on hold. She tries to hand the phone to someone else and says to the other person "Take this......this guy doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground")

OTHER GIRL ON THE PHONE: Hello?

ME: (Sort of shaky cause I wanted to tell that woman off) Hey, look, I tried to explain and provide a fix for (LADY/BIT*H) but I don't think she understands. Can you give her a message for me?

OTHER GIRL: Umm, sure!

ME: Tell her to reboot her computer and ask her why she called ME if I'm the one that doesn't know my ass from a hole in the ground.

After that I hung up. I dialed back into their server a half hour later and the workstation was back online.... *sigh*

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
LOL.....so glad the Tech Support days are over for me.
HEHEHE. Memories and horrors...I'll have to conjour one up from a past job......Hmmm which one.....

Depends on who you are working with and the type of the enviroment that you are working in. Right now I am in the best job of my life as we all work together as a team.

Like my first job, I had boss that was just a tight a$$ and he just offered you no support. He would send you out on site with no idea what was really going on.

Eg. We just told this company a rather expensive dot matrix printer for their data base. I was under the impression that I was going to be setting this up in a Windows Enviroment.
In the end, the workstations were all Windows 98 / Windows NT Workstaiton.
The server was some thing i never saw before in my life. It was some dedicated thing called PICT.
ME :- What is that?
CUSTOMER :- That is our PICT server. You need to connect the printer to that.
ME :- THINKING (If this was linix, then I would stand a snow ball's chance. But this is not.)
ME :- Excuse me for a second.....
Straight away I am calling my boss asking him what the hell did he just put he into just then as what I saw infront of me was nothing that i saw before.
Thanks to his (lack of) efforts, I made a d**khead both myself and the company I was working for.
Although I had my boss and the printer's techsupport staff on the phone, no one could help me.
In the end, it turned out that the printer was configured to run off the serial port.
BOSS :- I can not beleive it that you screwed up on that job, if I was out there on site, i would of known what to do straight away, and was to configure the printer to Serial. And not parralle.
ME :- What the F**K you talking about. You were there with me when I was talking to you. If you were so f**king smart, then why didn't you suggest it then over the phone!?!

My second employier was not much of an improvement. Actually, it he was worse and i remember calling my first boss begging for my old job back.
Firstly he knew FA about computers.
Secondly, I screw up on a job thanks to the back ups that the previous technicain left just did not work. And the customer that just had his data corrupt owns 5 other companies, and he would not even think twice before sueing. It was about 4 days before this guy found out about the data corruptions that happened. And we were $#!+ing ourselves when we had polite phone call of
"Mr.(LAST NAME) would like to see you personally in his office right now. He would like to know what is going on with is clothing store."
I have to give his employee's credit for keeping quiet as long as they did.
The shop was a very expenively clothing store. People that shop here think that Gucci or Messini just a cheap waste of time. In fact, if you have not heard of the name of the clothing store, there is no way that you can afford it. ($100 just for a silk neck tie)
What happened was that I applied the back up of the accounting data. I then told the employee that he would need to enter in the day's sales in again immedately. Luckly, these guys only make about 6 to 12 sales a day, so it should just take a half hour.
Does he do this the next day. NO.
4 days later (and one major week end sale) later, this employee starts entering the sales when notices that there was some thing obviously wrong.
And then after that, it was a string of errors, bad timing, and the fact that I had 2 day business trip to attend to that left me in a situation where i had the client about to sue me, and there was my boss that just looked me in the eye and told me "You f**k this up any further, I'll put a contract on your head"
In the end, I was able repair the corrupt data. It took me about 4 days to re-enter in 2 weeks worth of sales and to make sure that invoices, audit trails and customer details did match up.
About a 3 week later, I quit that job. The boss was wondering why.

I do sort of a consulting business for people on the side.

Though not as severe as Silesia's bosses had been, I get calls from people saying, " Can you come fix my computer for me," GIving me 0 desripition of what they need me to fix. Just outright scary sometimes.

I remember this one time I was working with a guy that I'd just put in a USB 2.0 card for ( it was scrapped from the one i fried). Anyways ,the next day, he says, "That printer you installed yesterday will not work."

So I get there, and find out its a DOS program. The printer is set up to run off of USB. As many of you know, DOS-whatever-build-it-was-compiled-in does NOT address USB ports .
So after explaining to him that his new USB printer wouldn't work, and he had to use an old parallel printer, we went back through his rathole of parallel networking. This guy had no less than 5 printers chained via a switch.

The worst, by far, is having to UNDO the bad work of another misguided techie. My aunt sent me this computer one time that my cousin's BF( a real putz) decided to upgrade from 98 to XP. Apparently it locked up, and choked itself. I was able to get the data, and reinstall, but it's the worst thing to have to do.

mrdinkel said:
I do sort of a consulting business for people on the side.

You have to be careful when you do work on the side of any one. I warn all the tech at my work the following at I don't like is people doing things on the side.. Most of the staff think it's because I am "a money grubbing pig".
What those don't realise that there is a perfectly good reason why, and it benefits them more that it benefits me.

I don't mind it if one of my employyees what's to work on a weekend. I will compensate them. During the week (9am to 5pm), our onsite serivce call is $80 per hour + GST. How ever, if the employee is working in the own time, I will give them a cut of $30 + GST per hour for their work.
Actually if the tech wants to charge more the week end, I allow them, and I let them keep that difference. After all, it's their time.
All I ask is that they contact me or my boss (as we both have mobile phones) as soon as they step on site, and as soon as they leave site. Plus I require the usual paperwork.

Failure to do so means that what they are doing is on their private time, therefore if they get themselves injured or sued, I have not legal obligations as it was some thing that happened OUT SIDE OF WORK.

Also, if I find out that some of my employees is working on the week end, and posing as the company, they will only get 1 warning before I fire them. If they want to moonlight for themselves, I have no problem with that. But as soon as they mension my company name, I expect the 3 P's (Phone call, Paperwork, Payment).

ON a bit of a lighter note, on thing i hate is going out on site where the "Keyboard as a case of the short and curlies". Normally the computer user is a single male, ranging from any age from about 18 (for legal reason) as up, and in amounts of this computer faults, it's too much spyware and spam, as well as the keyboard keys are not all working.
The first thing change before touching anything else on the computer is the Keyboard and mouse.
As for "Keyboard as a case of the short and curlies", that translates into "SOME HOW, there is pubic hair on the keyboard" as for how it got there, we are not going to ask, nor am I touching his keyboard or mouse.
I think every one can work out the rest.

Hp is has, by far, the worst tech-help available to man-kind...

I call up to get help with some software woes, and the guy says that my one year warranty had expired 6 hours ago and that he could no longer give me any help regarding my computer. Then he had the gall to ask "so what else can I do for you today?"
So, I very politely told him where to shove it, and hung up.:)

I was also a litte irked by an Apple store clerk once... He spent 20 minutes trying to sell me a computer that I was already going to buy... And I told him this probably 5 times before he finally shut up.

The reason why HP Tech Support is so bad is that they have outsoursed every one in india.

The Reseller Sales Support is not much better.
HP :- Welcome to HP. Why name is (Don't ask me to spell it as I have NFI), how can I help you?
ME :- You the best person to talk about the bigger Colour Laser Printers?
HP :- Yes I am.
Me :- Good. I need a HP Colour Laser that does A3 Printing, A3 Scanning, and fax would be nice.
HP :- What model are you after?
Me :- Ummmmmmm..... That what I want you to tell me.
HP :- But what model are you after? I can not help you unless you give me a model number?
Me :- :rolleyes: Why am I calling you for? This IS HP Sales Support?

In the end, she gave a model number.... for some thing that got discontinued the year before.

Okay, this is not much so HELP DESK, but it was a very big mistake...

My account manager for a distributor for (CLONE NAME BRAND) Notebooks was mailing out his New Year Price List to every one. Nice polite email bringing in the new year. News on new products that have come in over the Chirstmas Break, Prices Drops on older products... and a 1Mb File Called "CUSTOMER DATABASE.xls"

This was their entire RESELLER DISTRIBUTION LIST was sent out to every one in both Australia and New Zealand via email

1 hour later with this email saying "We would like to recall the message, "Pricelist January 2004 - Notebooks and Desktop components".
(Yeah, right, there is not much you can do once you hit the SEND BUTTON.)

Another hour later, I recieve the same orginal email that was sent out. Only this time, the January 2004 Price List was there.
(For some strange reason, I now have a new account manager down there. I wonder why?)

You have to be careful when you do work on the side of any one.

I see where you're coming from, and I also learned another valuable lesson from my dealings with people : require a deposit of some source BEFORE you start work... just so they have an incentive to pay you.

mrdinkel said:
I see where you're coming from, and I also learned another valuable lesson from my dealings with people : require a deposit of some source BEFORE you start work... just so they have an incentive to pay you.

We work on the basis of NO DEPOSIT, NO ORDER PROCESS.
Only when we have had lots of trading history with the customer will we not follow that rule.
And even there, there are some items we want a deposit on.
Especially when we can not return them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom