What is your ISP speed?

Very descriptive

Yup and the thing is, the 1Gb/s is only £7 more expensive than Virgin 150 a month. with 3 other housemates it would cost me <£12 a month for insanely better and consistent down/up.

One can only dream.

That's the result I get in the hacking lab at my uni (via Ethernet on my laptop stolen from one of the desktops). Until recently, they were stuck at 10Mb/s as that is, according to the uni's IT Services department, what we (the Computing department) requested for the room when the building was being designed. Since the building is 3 years old that's obviously utter horse****, so one of our guys finally got around to digging up exactly what we requested - a Gigabit line, the same as every other lab in the entire building. So, after a long humming-and-hawing from IT Services, they changed a configuration somewhere and now we're meant to get gigabit. Obviously we don't,

This all stems from the fact that IT Services hate us, and we hate IT Services. Because it's a hacking lab, we require:
- Admin privileges on all the desktops and the server rack
- Unfiltered access to the internet, because otherwise we constantly run into blocks relating to Hacking/Crime/etc
- The allowance to manage the hardware on all the machines as well as run our own custom image for them (the machines are automatically reimaged over the weekend)

Since this is heavily nonstandard compared to most of the other labs, IT Services (understandably) hate having us on the network (technically we're meant to be isolated and have immediate access to the outside, but they for some reason couldn't manage that). And as a result we hate IT Services because they drag their feet on any support the lab needs, like replacement peripherals, network maintenance, etc.

I remember our college's IT dept not being the brightest either. All desktops in the college would lock automatically after 10pm. Though they didn't block the keyboard, nor commands. We'd Windows+R then open explorer.exe and finally remove the lock process from Task Manager and do our homework / play Warcraft 3 mods all night. Great times!

That's the result I get in the hacking lab at my uni (via Ethernet on my laptop stolen from one of the desktops). Until recently, they were stuck at 10Mb/s as that is, according to the uni's IT Services department, what we (the Computing department) requested for the room when the building was being designed. Since the building is 3 years old that's obviously utter horse****, so one of our guys finally got around to digging up exactly what we requested - a Gigabit line, the same as every other lab in the entire building. So, after a long humming-and-hawing from IT Services, they changed a configuration somewhere and now we're meant to get gigabit. Obviously we don't,

This all stems from the fact that IT Services hate us, and we hate IT Services. Because it's a hacking lab, we require:
- Unfiltered access to the internet, because otherwise we constantly run into blocks relating to Hacking/Crime/etc
- The allowance to manage the hardware on all the machines as well as run our own custom image for them (the machines are automatically reimaged over the weekend)

Since this is heavily nonstandard compared to most of the other labs, IT Services (understandably) hate having us on the network (technically we're meant to be isolated and have immediate access to the outside, but they for some reason couldn't manage that). And as a result we hate IT Services because they drag their feet on any support the lab needs, like replacement peripherals, network maintenance, etc.

If your a hacking lab.... then they (IT dept) should expect you to hack their system, and get the speeds and access you want

If you guys were at our area we'd put you on our IAN network and be done with you. Would probably be the easiest people to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom