Which Would You Rather Have?

• 2x Nvidia 6800 Ultra's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2x ATI x800XT Ultra's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Athlon XP 2200 + (1.8ghz) runs much better than the Emac 1.25ghz at school, and it cost about half of the Emac. The Emac is really dodgy, it doenst load Gmail, or Hotmail and certain Forum sites. About the Mac:pc clock ratio, its more like this:

Mac:AMD = 1:1.5
Mac:Intel = 1-2

Some AMD's that run at 2.4ghz, run better than Intels that run at 3.6Ghz

waynejkruse10 said:
The Emac is really dodgy, it doenst load Gmail, or Hotmail and certain Forum sites.

I can almost garantee that your school's setup is intentionally blocking that...not the eMac.

Not only that, but sometimes due to the trouble that comes through school systems, sometimes certain sites actually block the school IPs. Hotmail actually blocked the entire Toronto District School Board's subnet for a while...not sure what happened to spark that, but it caused problems at the beginning becuase obviously people send work to themselves to finish off at lunch or print or what not...but I'd say it's more likely your school blocking as opposed to being blocked, but you never know.

School systems are never a good thing to judge by. Often you're not logging onto a machine itself, but onto the school's network server remotely, and school's typically do not have the best of networks or server...so they tend to get clogged which slows everyone's usage down.

I'd try and find a machine elsewhere to do such a comparison. And for such comparisons, ALWAYS compare machines with the same amount of RAM...the difference that makes is unbelievable.

Well, hotmail and gmail works fine on the pc's on the network, very strange. No, i do not ALWAYS compare systems with the same amount of ram, i compare systems that have a similar price.
Now, im going to do a comparison, a Superdrive EMAC, 512 mb RAM, 160GB HDD is $1866 AUSTRALIAN Dollars. For that price, i could get a Athlon 64 3000+, 512mb Ram (Dual Channel), 6600GT, 160GB HDD, DVD Dual Layer Burner, 19in CRT etc, COST - $1821. That system is more comparible to the G5.

waynejkruse10 said:
Well, hotmail and gmail works fine on the pc's on the network, very strange.

That is strange. I've used many OS X machines...and I assure you I haven't had issues with either of those websites. What browser are you using? If it's Internet Explorer 5, use something else. There's nothing in that outdated piece of absolute garbage worth using it for, and there's no telling what it may or may not load. Use Safari, Camino, or Firefox.

No, i do not ALWAYS compare systems with the same amount of ram, i compare systems that have a similar price.
Now, im going to do a comparison, a Superdrive EMAC, 512 mb RAM, 160GB HDD is $1866 AUSTRALIAN Dollars. For that price, i could get a Athlon 64 3000+, 512mb Ram (Dual Channel), 6600GT, 160GB HDD, DVD Dual Layer Burner, 19in CRT etc, COST - $1821. That system is more comparible to the G5.

Granted Macs are overpriced. I disagree with most justifications for such, they seriously are. The only true justification I feel is the operating system. You are paying a premium to use Mac OS X, and obviously for some people there is no reason to do so. Things like the Mac Mini were good moves...but I don't think it's enough.

Still, I'd pay the premium for OS X...and when the time comes to purchase a new computer in a few years or what not, I intend to. Meanwhile, using slighty outdated hardware (over three year old laptop), I've payed nothing for the software I've got on here including OS...and it's all legal (with the exception of libcss, but let's not get into that). Sometimes nothing beats opensource :cool:.

:angry: :angry: Hey I fitted my Gateway windows computer after the warrenty with an athalon processor (don't ask me I had it professionallay installed) I it didn't work much diffrent at all and it still didn't run more than 10 applications and I only had about 20 of them personly I think it depends on the OS's own charicteristics not on the actual speed of the computer like he said he had a 500 Mhz machine and it works fine the Mac OS uses less recorces and memory because OSX runs smaller system processes and leaves room for more Windows XP for example dosen't really manage the use of the CPU so more memory is used and another contrubiting factor is also the fact that they make thier own parts so they can charge as much as they want PC companys are just guys that get to put thier logo on it and get 30% of the cash they mostly don't in the end use the best parts the companies Dell Gateway HP and all the other brand name computter makers now use all cheap parts the people that build thier computers spend more money and time but thats how you get the most quality (of the little there is) by building one but it then becomes your responsibilityand thier are no more warrenties to protect you the speed dosen't matter its how you take care of it and how it takes care of itself so the computer may seem dodjey but you must be used to yelling at your monitor GOD DAMN YOU BILL GATES! now the only thing that is left is also that they don't take care of them if your having trouble talk to the tech if thier is none become one. Don't just sit around and complain on this fourm do something about it ;)P.S it would be a good idea to use Safari its on every Mac OSX machine

MacMaster64 said:
Hey I fitted my Gateway windows computer after the warrenty with an athalon processor (don't ask me I had it professionallay installed) I it didn't work much diffrent at all and it still didn't run more than 10 applications and I only had about 20 of them personly I think it depends on the OS's own charicteristics not on the actual speed of the computer like he said he had a 500 Mhz machine and it works fine the Mac OS uses less recorces and memory because OSX runs smaller system processes and leaves room for more Windows XP for example dosen't really manage the use of the CPU so more memory is used and another contrubiting factor is also the fact that they make thier own parts so they can charge as much as they want PC companys are just guys that get to put thier logo on it and get 30% of the cash they mostly don't in the end use the best parts the companies Dell Gateway HP and all the other brand name computter makers now use all cheap parts the people that build thier computers spend more money and time but thats how you get the most quality (of the little there is) by building one but it then becomes your responsibilityand thier are no more warrenties to protect you the speed dosen't matter its how you take care of it and how it takes care of itself so the computer may seem dodjey but you must be used to yelling at your monitor GOD DAMN YOU BILL GATES! now the only thing that is left is also that they don't take care of them if your having trouble talk to the tech if thier is none become one. Don't just sit around and complain on this fourm do something about it P.S it would be a good idea to use Safari its on every Mac OSX machine

What a plethora of run-on sentences. :D It took until the last few lines before you actually ended one with an exclamation mark...:p

Mac OS uses less "recorces"? Hell no. Granted it manages what it uses more efficiently, and its excellent methods of caching help system performance a lot, but that doesn't mean it uses less system resources. No matter what way you put it, OS X is a resource hog. However, this is justified by the fact that it manages system memory much better than XP...it pretty much fills it as much as it can, meaning it gets full usage out of the RAM it's got, minimizing disk usage. Windows XP, on the other hand, seems addicted to the pagefile. Linux must vary...I definitely do not get NEAR the disk activity, nor the slowdowns I get when I boot this machine into XP, meaning it manages that sort of thing quite well.

Additionally, I have nothing whatsoever against Bill Gates. He's a genius, for sure. His company hasn't worked out many issues that are working against XP, and the operating system is pretty low right now, yet it still has most of the market share. A brilliant business model. I personally very much dislike Windows. I also cannot afford an Apple computer right now. So? I use Linux. It works. It works well. I like it, it cost me nothing, my hardware happens to be fairly crappy but not all x86 hardware is. You seem to have a lot against x86 hardware because you associate it with Windows. What if Windows ran on PPC? What if Mac OS ran on x86? Actually, Darwin, the core of OS X CAN run in x86. Windows NT once actually did have a PPC port. Granted Apple hardware is generally good quality, and many of the major-name manufacturers of x86 hardware make crappy machines (coughDellcough), but that doesn't mean Apple hardware is flawless, nor does it mean you cannot get good quality x86 hardware...even if it runs......Windows!

Don't get me wrong. I very much like Mac OS X, and the computers that they run on. Not so much the company...brand-loyalty is very bad and can lead to poor buying decisions. But as much as I may like the computer "Macs" are today, I DESPISE the "Mac cult"...the "Apple fanaticism"...the blind devotion to the computer and company (and the ignorant bashing as well) that goes on.

End rant...I'm tired, maybe I should stop posting on little sleep... :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom