Wep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shifter,

My Netgear MR 814 Router also appears to be broadcasting the SSID even though I unchecked that box 2 weeks ago. I just looked into the router to see if it was still unchecked and it was so I don't get it either but you are not alone. I don't let it bother me but I live in a quiet suburb so that chances of someone hacking me are remote (no pun intended).

ratpig said:
Shifter,

My Netgear MR 814 Router also appears to be broadcasting the SSID even though I unchecked that box 2 weeks ago. I just looked into the router to see if it was still unchecked and it was so I don't get it either but you are not alone. I don't let it bother me but I live in a quiet suburb so that chances of someone hacking me are remote (no pun intended).

well, i live in an apartment and there are about six other networks that i can see. three or four i can connect to. (i dont b/c im not about getting something for nothing. im a firm believer that you get what you give in life...) anyways, im getting off the subject...

i finally got a hold of Linksys... they said its got something to do with the firmware. they say that they are working a fix to this problem in the next firmware update. in the mean time they told me to "up" the WEP encryption to 128bit and to change the key every week or so. maybe you would do well to contact Netgear and see if they are also working on a fix to this problem.

kboy,

mine wouldnt either until i set the IP, Subnet Mask, and Gateway manually. i did some other tweaking to the router but id have to go into it and see what all i changed before i could post so you could do the same to your router...

as for the frequent disconnect problem i was having...
i changed the router channel to "1" and now its rock solid. the down side is that i lose the connection every time i pick up my cordless phone. (cordless phones run on 2.4 Ghz,same as the router, and most also run on channels 1 thru 4). luckily, i dont get many phone calls and pick the thing up even less. (i use my cell for work and home. the only ppl that call my house are bill collectors & ppl that i dont know well enough yet to give out my cell #).

that said, thanx for all the help guys!:D :cool:

Thanks for the update Shifter, I'll do a little investigating on my end.:confused:

PS, Watch out for your Microwave too;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom