Weight loss is hard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we are kicking it back on. My wife wants to be serious about it this time. We've already been walking our road six days a week, .4 miles downhill and then .4 miles back uphill to get home (man, I am out of shape). It's getting better, but slowly. :p

I lost 20 pounds, but gained 5 of it back. I guess progress is progress. Still got a loooonnnngggg way to go.

Ive started lifting weights for about 20-30 mins every other day. It feels great - I also take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever i can, little changes can effect you in the biggest ways :)

Well. Before i started my diet i was 15stone 7lbs or there abouts.

I'm weighing in at 14stone 0lbs now in the morning, and looking much better for it.

And wow, even though i'm not really doing any more exercise, that little bit of lost weight makes the simplest of tasks so much less effort. But then if someone strapped around 20lbs of weight to your back everytime you went to do something, it would be harder - and i guess it's the exact same thing.

However.. easter and it's chocolate filled days are just a day or two away, oh god.

Since i got to 14stone 4lbs i kinda plateaued as i didnt put half as much effort in, as i was much happier with my weight, i went from looking overweight to just stocky average guy. I ain't meant to be all skinny either, as my entire family always tells me i'd apparently look 'weird' if i went under 13 and a half stone. It's true though, some people look good big, others look good thin.

The best change though is not with me, it's with my friends and my sister coincidentally.

They've all been eating just as bad as me for years and had no problems, and now they're all putting on weight and getting beer bellies, and i don't half point it out to them :p

Ok, I just found this topic, so I didn't read through the whole thing. I read a couple posts on the first page and then all the ones on the 11th page.

I'm good at this weight loss thing. You shouldn't be content with stocky. Get your body fat low so your muscles show.

This is what you gotta do.

First, tell your mom to stop buying crap. She is making everyone in your family unhealthy. She should have taught you better eating habits. The reason you got fat in the first place is because she failed as a parent. She should have been harder on you to loose weight before it was too late to use your excess skin up through more growing. I'm sorry for insulting your mom, but this is the cause of childhood obesity, crap parents. It is hard when there are so many temptations around you. It isn't fair to you for your house to be filled with them if you have no say in the matter.

Second, you need to workout and you need to do it hardcore. I read you started it already. This is good. Increase your intensity and time until your shirt is pretty much almost completely drenched by the time you are done. The sides on the bottom are allowed to be dry. That is pretty much it. Your boxxers should be wet too. If you need to go twice in one day to do your cardio, so be it. A morning and evening workout is good. I would recommend doing this 2-3 times a week. Once you get down to your goal weight, you can stop doing this. You're still going to need to do your cardio everyday though. You can do less of it on weight lifting days. You should have these 3-4 days a week to prevent you from completely destroying all your muscle with your cardio. You're not going to get any stronger; your dieting and cardio is going to prevent this. Remember to lift before you do cardio. Make sure you take a protein shake after you're all done exercising on lifting days. It should be taken with water, not milk, and it should have virtually no fat or sugar in it. You have to buy the right stuff. I use the American Whey brand isolate protein mix of dpsnutrition.com.

Third, you need to diet. Cut your calorie intake way down, but still eat a lot. You're going to need mass quantities of salad. Only use dressing with 25 calories or less per serving. Go as light as you can on this as well. You need to eat fruit for energy. As juicy as you can get it. The idea is that it is mainly water. Bananas are a bit drier, but you need the potassium to help prevent muscle degeneration, so eat like 1-3 a day. I think apples are great for your other fruit. They are going to give you lots of the most horrid smelling gas you have ever had though, so get some GasX or something. You're going to need meat for protein. Chicken, turkey, fish, nough said. For your complex carbs, you're going to want only whole grains. Regular Cheerios with skim milk. Don't buy multigrain; they put sugar on those guys. The main thing is going to be salad though. Fruit is secondary. On your salads, don't put any fats or carbs. You know what that means. Once and awhile you can treat yourself to croutons and chickpeas (they got fiber so they're ok). And make sure you aren't drinking any sort of non-diet pop, fruit juice, or anything with calories.

Fourth, you need to chug water like it is your job. Staying hydrated helps you metabolism, and it helps fill you up (well, a little bit). Drink at least 25 oz of water right before you eat anything. Prepare yourself to use the restroom about 15 times a day. Depending on how long you sleep, you're going to be getting up 2-4 times during the night.

This is what I did expect I didn't start eating the salad and fruit until I was already skinnier than almost everyone because I was too picky. Instead I just ate extremely low quantities of food. It sucked. This is much better. You're going to be eating a lot, so your metabolism is going to be blazing, especially once you get your cardio going good. Even though you're going to become hungrier than you ever thought you'd ever be in your life with this metabolism you're going to build up, try to eat as little of everything but the salad as possible until you are below 10% body fat (I am 5%). You might be asking, why do I need to get below 10% when the healthy range for a male my age is 8-20%? Well, the answer is, because by this point, you will have become an animal. You will be so good at what you do, that you won't want to stop at 15-20%. Why should you when you are such a beast at losing weight? On weeks where you are religious you will have dropped 5 pounds. 5 pounds in 7 days is animalistic. Eventually when you flex, you'll start seeing biceps, tricep veins, and deltoid striations. If you get down low enough the definition will start to appear in your legs when you flex them too. And then there will be the excess skin. The majority of it will accumulate on your stomach (a nice addition to your stretch marks) and then on your ***. This crap takes like 2 years to go away.

Be careful of splurging once you are finished losing weight. Like I said, when you are done you will have the largest appetite out of everyone you know. It leads to bad these when you start eating delicious high calorie food. It makes a lot of work for yourself. This easter weekend (Friday-sunday) I went home from college and had like a total of 13,000 calories. I never get that kind of of food (chocoloate, icecream, all kinds of other sweets and fats) and I ate as much as I possibly could for that reason, even after I wasn't hungry anymore (and I am hungry for quite awhile). I did the same thing over my whole 10-day long spring break that I had the week before this one. Because of these two eating vacations (lol), I'm going to be in for some intense **** for two more weeks. Its really gonna suck. I've already done a few days of it this past week, but it is going to take way more than that to work off a whole spring break like this weekend. I decided, I'm not going to eat gluttonous proportions of food I don't normally get anymore lol. Anyway, after you lose your weight and you start getting that definition (I mean who doesn't love it when their veins look like they are going to explode out of their skin after a good lift?), you don't want to make these hard for yourself by splurging. Just take a little bit of the good stuff.

Druid, please, enough of the blaming other people ****. I'm an intelligent guy, i know eating bad is unhealthy, and i know exactley what im putting in myself. I chose to eat it, getting unhealth way MY fault, and mine only. I only started eating bad at 12/13, so it's not like i was unknowingly growing fat from a young age. This is all my own doing.

Not everyone wants to look like some super low fat body builder, especially me. I am perfectly content with being a normal guy, sure, loosing another 10lbs or so would be perfect. But there is no way anyone is going to convince me to look like some super healthy body builder. I'd like to grow the muscles on my arm more, but thats about it.

Oh and by the way, i did lose 5 lbs in one week at one point, just at 1500 calories + half an hour on the exercise bike and only drank water.

There is one thing i have learned, for my body atleast, it does not adapt to eating less. It has been 12 to 16 weeks since i started, i could still happily eat the huge quantities of food i used to. I am the person that goes out for a meal with the family, and when everyone finishes there meal and is like "Wow, i'm stuffed!" i have to play along with it because i could genuinely eat it all again ( i have learnt to successfuly avoid these temptations though). I think that is just me at this young age where my body is growing quickly, maybe it'll change when im older.

P90X.
i'm actually in great shape and i tried P90X yesterday and i'm still hurting. the cool thing about it is that you can take a break whenever you want, so long as you do the work. it's easy and kinda fun but the next day you'll be able to tell that it's making a difference. i made it half way through a 15 minute video before taking a break but you're supposed to break after each exercise, each lasting a minute or two. after watching the videos, i am really impressed. i wish you all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom