Web Filtering and Monitoring for Multiple Networks and Multiple User Access Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I'm looking for some advice and suggestions on Internet filtering options for a children's home campus.

We have 5 separate "cottages" that each house up to 8 kids and each cottage has 1 - 5 computers and their own cable modem (read: each has it's own IP address).

Currently, we are using the SafeEyes parental filter, but it has become too cumbersome to manage with so many accounts, plus it routinely locks users out and has to be reset.

We want our kids to have access to all the modern resources of the web, while still maintaining full control of the systems and their activity.

Some things we'd like to incorporate into our new system include:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Kiosk" mode desktop that will allow each child to have his/her own user account with individual Internet and Application access rights. (Possibly use a physical key like the YubiKey that kids can check out from houseparents in order to log in and can be reassigned as needed, rather than having to change usernames and passwords)

Prevent standard users from changing any systems settings or installing any software.

The ability to remotely monitor and administer all users accounts in all 5 cottages from one location.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there was a solution that required all computers to be on the same local network in order to manage them, we do have a VPN in place that could be used.

I think creating a terminal server would be most ideal here. Most of the confg is confined to a single server. Only access the clients need on their end is to use remote desktop t connect to the server. If costs are a problem, then you'll need to use the vpn and get crafty with group policy on the clients.

Anyway you cut it, you'll need a good web filter software. Only one i know is websense

Thanks for the input. I'll look into going the server route. Regardless of whether we use terminal server or run everything on the existing individual PCs, is there any recommended (cheap) software for easily monitoring activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom