Want to make a game?? PC only, express interest here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doom, besides making a game, there is one other thing. I wouldnt be so fast to contradict and criticize members who have been here for a long, long time, and have garnered a great deal of respect from the TF members. One of those senior members is Tyler.

obviosly this was the wrong place to ask. 8months? that makes him a senior? hes got fuk all respect from me - all that he seems to do is criticize. lets just forget about this thread alright?

If you really want to do something here's what I suggest. Start out small, taking on a project as big as starcraft will be discouraging when you are stuck every step of the way. Another thing you have to look out for is copy rights, 90% of all the fan made games get shut down because of stupid copyright holders, who don't even plan on making a new game of the series yet still shut down anyone who tries to add to it (System shock 2 remake, monkey island games, and many more have been shut down). What I'd suggest doing is learning Adventure game studio, and making a game either solo or with a few dedicated people. Coordinating something with many people online just wont happen, people will get bored and quit.

Blizzard is also one of the most aggressive companies out there when it comes to copyright material. Almost every mod that is made that uses their material is shut down.

"Bite off more you can chew, and then bloody well chew it"

I myself don't have the time currently (although I do Texture art and 3D modeling so I may be of use....) but I wish the best of luck to 'ya sir!

Making a game from scratch in one's home is nearly impossible these days. What's more common and much more feasible is getting a group of people together and working on a MOD using the game's own SDK such as the Source SDK or FEAR SDK.

Making game engine would probably be the hardest thing.

Games like red alert 2 and starcraft use voxels not 3d models, so it's not that hard. Graphics side of these games are relatively easy.

ok, well i only read the first couple of reply's becuse im on a hotel tv and my eyes are ready to bleed so sorry if this has ben resolved already
-------------------
i saw that some people got a little upset over this post and oom got a little regretful of posting this, well he shouldn't, act like were one big family :) so we my have a lot of members but most don't post, lets keep the ones who do here. ok now that thats over with I do agree that your a little too ambisios, wich is good! but i would love to work on some source mods, i'm a great hammer mapper, or at least i love to map. i would give up some of my free time for this. my Xfire account is spacew00t and PM me if you want my gmail adress.
I think this is a worth wile project, I really like HL2 and i would love to work on a mod with it.

as people have said start small make easy simple games, Also use blitzbasic, darkbasic etc as their quicker and easier to create games than c++.

even if you have people who no c++ making a game like that is very difficult espcially with people online communication with each other etc. The days of bedroom coders are dead as in full scale games, most just do mods and small addictive games these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom