Vista Networking - I want to edit stuff on my PC w/ my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aranan

Beta member
I have Vista Home Premium on my PC and my laptop. My administrator account on both computers has the same username/password, so it does the automatic file sharing thing. However, the file sharing is only permitting read-only access to files on my PC when I use my laptop (and vice-versa).

Specifically, I'm looking to have the C:\Users\[MyUsername] on my PC be accessible to my laptop so I can stop having to copy files from my laptop back over to my PC whenever I update something.

One issue is that I'm using the same username on my PC and my laptop, so I can't just go into sharing options and set the laptop account to Co-Owner; that username is already set as the Owner. I'd rather not set ownership to everyone since there are other people who use this network and I don't want them to have ownership of all my files on my PC.

I have stumbled around various sharing settings on both machines, did as detailed a google search as I could with such a vague problem, asked on a few separate forums, and picked the brains of the two “computer people” I know.

Is there a way to allow my laptop to be able to access and edit files on my PC? If anyone can help me just do this (what I thought would be simple) task, I would be super appreciative

Do you have a password on both machines. If not set up a password.

Give full-access to Everyone. Everyone means everyone who can authenticate to the desktop, meaning have the Usename and password.

Also, if you do not want to share your whole C drive. You can create a folder, share it and use like Aranan$

The dollar sign will make it a hidden share, that way people will not be able to see what folders are shared.

A good document on hidden shares...MICROSOFT
How to create and delete hidden or administrative shares on client computers

Give full-access to Everyone. Everyone means everyone who can authenticate to the desktop, meaning have the Usename and password.

That was the problem. I changed the permissions to Everyone and it works just fine. I checked on one of the other computers on the network that should not have permission, and it still doesn't.

Thank you so much for pointing out that "Everyone" doesn't actually mean everyone. :)

Problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom