Virtual PC operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
VMware server is designed for server apps an OS's it isnt as well featured as workstation it's 50quid but it's much more powerful, it will also shair hardware better I can access a floppy drive (yea i still use one) from inside a VM same with a USB thumb drive, DVD drive ect.

How do I log into the host when I first start it up? I've searched the help file and it doesn't seem to tell me anything about that. I've tried numerous user names and passwords from network ID, IP address, log in username and password but keep getting "Host address lookup for server workgroup failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found"

I guess I'm really not sure what they want for a host name, user name and password.

How to log into VMWare server?

Where do I find the host name and what user name do I log in with? The computer has several names (a log in name, computer name, network name)

I can't find anything in the 214 page manual that comes with the program that actually talks about this more than just saying you need to log into either a local or remote server.

In my case it would be local (on the same computer)

Thanks,

John

Merged the topics. No need to create a new one with the same questions as this one.

You should have create a host. That is the name you use.

server is easier for me to use than workstation. i just ignore the server setup part and run a virtual os. with workstation I can only boot from cd when there is no OS. I can always boot with server

with server just hit cancel to the connect to host stuff. then you have wm workstation with extra's

Thanks guys, I was able to get the workstation from a buddy and was able to get everything loaded on that. Is there a way to make it run faster or smoother? I downloaded the mouse tool and other options, but autocad still seems to run noticeably slower than on my pentium 4 laptop with 2 gigs of ram.

I have played with the ram allocation anywhere from 2-4 of the 8 gigs as I heard you can't use more than 3.5 for a 32 bit system and I told it to use 2 of the 4 processors as 4 isn't an option, but it just seems to be really bogged down with anything very detailed.

I'm still working on getting a 64 bit version of autocad, but until then, I'm stuck with this and I think I will probably be better off using the laptop if I can't get this to run any faster.

John

I'm not sure, but I think autocad makes use of your video hardware acceleration, probably using either opengl or directx, doesn't it?

VMWare doesn't really have good support for hardware acceleration. In fact, you won't find that ability in any virtual machine software because it takes too much to emulate/virtualize that.

You're probably better off either dual booting or just installing the 32-bit. 64-bit is great only if everything you need works with it. Otherwise, stick with 32-bit until 64-bit gets more mainstream.

Thanks, that wasn't the answer I was hoping to hear, but it does make sense and does answer my question. I think I will just dual boot for a while so I can still take advantage of the 8 gigs of ram for the majority of my daily activity.

I guess if I save everything to my memory stick I can still at least use the VM machine to print if I don't need to any real work on a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom