Virtual/Network Question

Slacker

Slacking Guru
Ok the better half is working from home now. I want to limit her new company from being able to scan too much of her machine.. I was thinking I could build a VM box and have her use that as her work computer....
However I might be over thinking this.. But my concern would be on thew company side they have configured their network to reject VMs? To explain why I think that.. They may block a VM to prevent an employee from browsing the web or whatever instead of working. Any thoughts?

**Edit
I realize this is more a network configuration question sorry if it needs to be moved.

Last edited:
What are you trying to do, exactly? Is there a particular type of activity you're trying to hide?

Do you mean that you are thinking of building a physical machine that will host a VM?

I want to use her computer to host a VM box for the work client. She connects using a website. I want to limit any risk to us and let her use the web on the host while logged in. If that makes sense?

I am aware that the VM will be using the same network.. so maybe all of what I am wanting or trying to do is a moot point.....

Is this her own personal machine, or is it a company issued computer?

If it's a personal machine then it depends on whether or not it's joined to the company domain and/or if it has the company's remote management software installed. If it's a company computer then it probably has all that stuff already and there isn't really a way around that. In either case, I don't think a VM is going to help you avoid being monitored.

As an aside, I've never heard of a company being worried about its remote users surfing the web when working from home. Obviously I don't know the particular situation, but I'd be surprised if they really cared.

It is our personal computer.. its a citrix client and from the looks of it(very quick) it loads into their domain.. have not had any hands on with RM software so I could be wrong there..

I would post the HR docs but I am pretty sure that would cause me more headache than this.. ;) and I pretty sure those docs are more of a tactic than anything else....

From my research... the security benefits would be the same as on the host, only I can delete or trash the VM if it became infected. Because it would be on a shared network with the Host machine there would be no upgrade in security of personal documents.?

That said I think it would allow her to browse the net on the host.. as long as they have not configured the software or network to detect VM's ....?

VM is going to be on the same network so it is a moot point.

On the flip side, a VM unless you are using a beefy machine is going to be slow and painful to use. I have a beefed up desktop that I run a few VM's on and those VM's are painfully slow.

I think this is more of a misunderstanding of how the VPN client works - it's a secure tunnel between two sites. Your local and network security still exists so in order for someone from 'outside' to view your network would require credentials that only you or your wife should have.

In theory the VPN should work on the VM right? Can a VPN be configured to drop users if they do not meet requirements?

As you both pointed out and I slowly came to understand there would be no additional security or realistic upgrade from using a VM in this case.

the machine is a AMD6 3500 Llano with 8 gigs of ram... it runs win 7. I have an old copy of Vista with a key, I installed it and it runs ok.. I do not think it could do anything more than browse the web but if she left facebook or pintrest we would have to send a search party :)

Thanks to you both (system says I have to spread it around to thank you) for letting me talk this thru!

What you might be trying to hide or believe they will implant on you and infect you is not how citrix is designed to work.

She connects from her computer to the server using VPN. This means a secure connection is made between her PC and the Server. That connection is unable to spread onto the network, scan or view anything on the local network.

When she connects to the citrix client, this is where her computer and the server communicate to access her email, quickbooks, word or which ever software she is using.

It does not go further then that and an infection from the company via Citrix is highly unlikely. It sounds stupid just typing it out.

They do not have physical access to the computer.

welcome to the game show! Day late and a dollar short... Thanks for repeating what was already confirmed..

Have anything to add about the virtual box being detected by their server?
guess I could spread my thanks to you so I can thank the next person who adds anything meaningful.

No, they cannot detect what is being connected, just how. It's a connection between two hosts, the protocol doesn't give a crap what hardware or device is communicating, just that it follows the proper protocol for communication.

You can use an old imac G3 if it could use the proper VPN protocol.

Back
Top Bottom