very weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster00

Daemon Poster
hey whats up. My sister has a laptop. We got a wireless router and card for it. the router model # is a BEFsr11. They are both linksys. We have just been having problems but this is just totally weird. It keeps on getting someone elses signel. It comes up as "foldol" and ours is at "linksys". But once i configured it to be at linksys it just jumps to "foldol" and the connection says like 5.5 mbps and the connection is very low. She does not know a lot about computers so.. she just cant keep on switching it without my help. But has this happened to anyone before? if so how did u fix it?

What operating system is she running. I would make your network a "preferred" network and allow your computer to connect only to the "preferred" networks.

If you have XP Pro (or maybe even home), this should be pretty easy to do.

Dude, just a side note...

If you are able to connect to someone else's wireless network, then it is only reasonable to assume that they can connect to yours... You might want to put some sort of fillter/block on outside ips accessing your net...

Some wireless routers will allow you to put a MAC address filter or only allow certain IPs to connect to your network... You could also try WEP (i'm pretty sure anyways) encryption...

Later.

Squirrelly

Sad thing is, though, WEP encryption isn't that secure. There are programs available will crack WEP. If you can, Monster, I would enable the MAC address filtering, and only allow you're sisters MAC address through.

That or her IP address, if it's static... but the MAC address is the most secure way to go on that (it's different for every NIC or router)

squirrelly1

Yah im a fan of those cracking programs. Mostly the program just searchs the open networks first. All in the business I guess, this way you can crack and then let the person know and secure theirs and make some money.

OR... They just pick up the phone.... Start and stop dialing a precariously short number and look at you with dismissal as you're dragged from their offices by a few guys with nice, pressed blue uniforms and .45 Cals because you "attempted to steal their internet connection or private files"... :p

:eek: Squirrelly1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom