Very slow boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper

Baseband Member
Hello there.

I am having problems with booting up my system, it is taking about 15-20 mins to boot up, the longest part is it hanging on the boot screen approx 10-15 mins.

I have two partitions on my main hard drive (C & D) I have one operating system (XP Pro SP2) on C: So i have now cleared out everything that was on D: onto C: so that i could format D: and do a fresh install, so i now have a dual boot, to see if there is any difference.

Now that i have a fresh install on D: with a minimum amount of programmes (nothing downloaded from the web, it also takes the same amoount of time to boot, it was okay when i first installed the OS, but now after a few restarts it is also unbelievably slow to boot.

So i am pretty sure it can't be cr4p on the start up that is causing the long wait, and the hard drive is only a few months old, how can i test my CPU etc to find out why it is taking so long to boot up ?

Is there a small programme out there where i can test my HDD and CPU ?

Any help would be much apprecited.

Copper.

Scan for spyware/adware & for viruses.

Since your running XP, open up msconfig and go to the startup tab and disable some of the extra things that are starting up.

-Silent Fear

Hi Silent Fear

Thanks for the quick response, i have ran AV & spybot etc, but nothing.

Like i say this is now a fresh install on my D: partition, there is now crap on it, just the bare minimum, i have downloaded nothing form the web onto it, so there shouldn't be anything there in the background. Or could what is on the C: partition still affect how the OS boots up on my D: partition ?

Any help much appreciated

Copper.

Are your two partitions using all the drive space? I have heard of slow boots when one has two partitions that dont use the whole size of the drive. Might it be that?

Just been noticing a lot of people have boot problems. Maybe there's a new virus?

Copper
un-install ur video drivers and get the latest for your card. I've seen extremely slow computers with corrupted videodrivers before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom