Very interesting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarFreak1857

Fully Optimized
I just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP x64 Professional on my custom built PC and I am having a strange problem when I reboot. I installed firefox, itunes, utorrent, etc and when i restart and run any of them it cycles through the initial window like on firefox when it asks to import bookmarks or settings from IE and with ituens it has the UELA. Why is this happening? I tried switching off system restore but it's still doing it. Any ideas?

~Thanks

Is it a retail XP 64 cd, or a copied. If it is a copied cd, that might be a problem. When did you first notice problems, after installing the listed programs, or were they running ok for a while ? Can you list your system specs ?

Is it a retail XP 64 cd, or a copied. If it is a copied cd, that might be a problem. When did you first notice problems, after installing the listed programs, or were they running ok for a while ? Can you list your system specs ?

I burned it from an .ISO that i downloaded from MSDN. I mean it's worked fine in the past, should i try reburning it? System specs are in my sig and i started noticing problems right after i installed them. Sometimes icons would disappear from the desktop as well and settings wouldn't hold after restart. There's no problem with running the applications though.

Ah yes, your specs are in your sig, I didn't have my glasses on :p

Anyway, yeah, I think I would try reburning it, maybe your CD has some scratches (it doesn't take much, even small ones can cause errors). Also, when you reinstall, just install the barebones OS and take note of what you add. Also before you add anything, update your service packs, ending with SP3.

Go easy, just installing one at a time and see what problem(s) you experience, if any. When you install something that doesn't work properly you might (read "might") have an idea what possibly happened. Somewhere to start looking, is what I meant by that.

Ah yes, your specs are in your sig, I didn't have my glasses on :p

Anyway, yeah, I think I would try reburning it, maybe your CD has some scratches (it doesn't take much, even small ones can cause errors). Also, when you reinstall, just install the barebones OS and take note of what you add. Also before you add anything, update your service packs, ending with SP3.

Go easy, just installing one at a time and see what problem(s) you experience, if any. When you install something that doesn't work properly you might (read "might") have an idea what possibly happened. Somewhere to start looking, is what I meant by that.

SP3 isn't for Professional x64, 64-bit uses SP2 for server 2003, but i will reinstall and reburn the CD and i'll let you know what's good! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom