USB Thumbdrives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I figure if I send in that rebate now, by the time I'm graduating from the institute in seattle at the end of 2007, I should have that $10 rebate back :)

Was $39 for me though since I had to pay a couple bucks california tax :(

Chazzer3 said:
Could you buy lots of pen drives and put them in RAID? Just out of interest?
The price per gigabyte would be pretty high, no?

The point of pen drives/thumbdrives/usb keys/whatever is that they can go in your pocket, on a keychain, or what not. They're the new floppy discs in my eyes (CDs turned out to be too difficult to just do quick document saves on).

But I don't see why, with enough USB connections, you couldn't *theoretically* set it up. They may not perform well in the setup, but this isn't something one would do for cost, performance, or even practicality.

Ah, what was the name of the tax? Interesting...
What do you mean what's the name of the tax? I'm in california, so is newegg, therefore they have to charge me california state tax of 7.775% or whatever it is now.

But I don't see why, with enough USB connections, you couldn't *theoretically* set it up. They may not perform well in the setup, but this isn't something one would do for cost, performance, or even practicality.
I'll tell ya right now, I've never set up RAID or even messed with it, so this is all just speculation.......buuuut isn't setting up HD's for RAID done through the BIOS? I know my BIOS has a particular section you go to for setting up the HD's in a RAID configuration.

I don't know if theres anywhere within windows to set it up...........as I said though, I've never messed with RAID on HD's muchless thumb drives.

I guess you could always get 5 of the single gig sticks, RAID them and get windows installed :p

Be slow as crap though.

I have PNY technology 256mb it is old so it is big but it the most durable thing! I have washed and dried it like 6 times and it still works like a champ!

Chazzer3 said:
Could you buy lots of pen drives and put them in RAID? Just out of interest?
Some thing to think about the next time I see a Pack Of 5 USB Pen Drives.

Nubius said:
I'll tell ya right now, I've never set up RAID or even messed with it, so this is all just speculation.......buuuut isn't setting up HD's for RAID done through the BIOS? I know my BIOS has a particular section you go to for setting up the HD's in a RAID configuration.

I don't know if theres anywhere within windows to set it up...........as I said though, I've never messed with RAID on HD's muchless thumb drives.

I guess you could always get 5 of the single gig sticks, RAID them and get windows installed :p

Be slow as crap though.
No idea about Windows, but you can set up a RAID without doing it through a BIOS. I think the BIOS would only matter if you're actually booting a machine from a RAID; if you're just using it for storage it's irrelevant as long as you can find something to format and mount them properly. Some people a few months ago (this was on Digg) were bored or such and built something like a 15-floppy disk array, because they had the drives, the hubs, and way too much free time. They did it with OS X's Disk Utility. I'm sure you can do it on Windows somehow, again, if you really really wanted to do it.

I'll Google around for the link.

Edit: Link found: http://phoenix.cc.edu/MegaFloppy.htm

Edit again: So people have also done it with iPod Shuffles (which basically act as USB thumbdrives).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom