Upgrading to Gigabit network

Status
Not open for further replies.

staincafe

Baseband Member
im looking to upgrade to a gigabit network, anyone know of any good gigabit routers/ switches with reasonable cost that are out there?

the prices go from $120 dlink I believe, and it jumps straight up to $2500 cisco.

I will run cat5 cable, 1router 2 switches 25 computers and willing to spend around $500 to 800.

wow didnt think there was that big of a selection they all look good.

any recomendations on brands

belkin
dlink
Linksys
netgear
trendwear
edunax

What do you need the network to do ?

based on the information you have provided so far I suggest the Netgear FS products as a sound switching product.

Ideally if you are going to gigabit ethernet then you should go for CAT 6 cabling, its more future proof and allows for technology such as 10 gigabit ethernet and power over ethernet, all of which are just around the corner.

What do you need gig for anyway... are your users connecting to a central file server?
If this is the case and if you are on a budget I suggest you go 100 mbps to the desktp and 1000 to the server to avoid contention.

mostly just gamming, i heard it will only give me about 25% increase.

some of the computers will not be upgraded so they will stay at 100.

i will not have a server, I dont think it would make much sence (most people browse the net and play games (its for an internet cafe )

I can always upgrade to cat 6 later on ( i believe) right now its too much work to rewire everything.

this one is compatible with cat 5 im pretty sure most others are too
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=626931&CatId=596

If your running decent 100 meg switch's, i doubt you will get even a 1% peformance increase.

the switches i have now are pretty cheap so I think ill see a bit of a difference.

on the cable it say's "gigabit ethernet"

YFC UTP ENHANCED CAT.5 PATCH ISO/IEC 1180 1 & EN 50173 & TIA/EIA 568A 3P VERIFIED FOR GIGABIT ETHERNET - 24AWGX4 TYPE CM (UL) C (UL) CMG E164469

I hope it will work

Anyone know of any strict routers that are under 100$ and contain no 4 port switch or firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom