Upgrading Mac hardware...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysNightOut

In Runtime
Say you got a new iMac, but wanted to save some money and just throw in a different HD you had laying around, say a new SATA drive 750GB vice the stock 250GB drive. Does it just PnP as in Windows machines? Or do they use special hardware in any form or fashion. I have come to read after many hours that it seems the OS is the real kicker in configuration differences between Mac and Windows machines. Is this true Mac people?

Reason is. I plan to get an iMac 24" for my next PC. I plan to use it to record HDTV content hopefully and do some light video editing for burning movie files etc.

So is it safe to assume I could "crack one open" and upgrade things myself with generic hardware as in graphics cards or hard drives?

If this is illegal, I'm sorry. I'll ask elsewhere.

Cracking open a new iMac and replacing the harddrive is possible, but not the easiest thing in the world to do. It'd be easier to open, say, a Macbook and replace the harddrive.

If you want to try, yes, just an off the shelf SATA (laptop spec, IIRC) drive will work.

And no, it isn't illegal - however, you may void your warranty, so if something goes awry, don't be surprised if Apple refuses to replace it or something.

True. I do note that, it's just so beautiful..the iMac display...would suck to have to get the tower and a monitor as it would be oh so lovingly expensive. MacPro is hot, just don't have the cash for it just yet heh. I'd prefer not to spend so much on a tower either...I do find the iMac expensive for what you get as well. I just love the simplicity however and the display in itself is worth it heh.

Mhm.

So is the OS the real difference in configuration of apple/windows? I assume hardware is pretty much generic. I guess it can't be because you can't build a machine and then put mac os x on it without an emulator, even if you buy a real OS version.

it has to do with the motherboards. they add compliance chips onto them so even if you have compatible hardware it wont work. dell does something similar so you can only use the dell windows discs on dell computers. most of the time it deals with just a cecksum added onto the BIOS but last time i checked macs dont have a BIOS.

lovely...buttholes!

Hmm then...wonder if I should get a Mac. A guy at work today had a brand new macbook pro..like 20" laptop...thing was a beauty. boot camp windows XP and everything. It was gorgeous and worked seamlessly and so smooth it felt...****...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom