unusual networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bummertech

Beta member
hello techies,
here's an interesting problem i hope you enjoy solving:

i'm connected to the internet via an ADSL line. an RJ11 cable connects the wall socket to an AZTEC ADSL modem. a USB cable connects the modem to my desktop (XPpro). works great.

i recently bought an HP PAVILION DV 6000 notebook (VistaHomePremium) with built-in wifi. my basic and simple objective is to be able to browse the net on my notebook anywhere in the house.

i was told i need a wifi router to do this, so i bought a linksys WRT54GC. when i tried to connect the modem to the router, i discovered, to my utter annoyance, that my modem only has an RJ11 'line' out connection, while the linksys router needs an RJ45 ethernet cable. BUMMER !!!

on the advice of certain friends (?), i connected my desktop and the router with an RJ45 cable. on the desktop (XPpro), i enabled 'internet sharing'.

when i turned the whole thing on, all the lights on the router (power (duh), internet and wireless) promptly lit up. i launched the browser on the vista notebook, and voila! i was online, browsing merrily, through the 'linksys' wireless network

for about an hour, that is.

then, my alleged friend claimed that it was an 'unsecured' network, so let's fix it. i reminded him of the old american saying: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT !, but he insisted, and boom, i lost connectivity.

i don't remember exactly what we did, but i'll tell you what the status is now: the hardware setup is exactly the same, and i'm happily browsing on my desktop. although the notebook connects to the wireless linksys network (we've secured it with WEP, BTW), i get 'local access only'. every time i try to diagnose the problem, it tells me i may have a problem with my 'DNS server'. every single time, the same message.

WHAT THE EFF DO I DO?

any advice will be gratefully actioned. thanx a ton, guys.

well WEP can be easily cracked these days so he should of used WPA really but never mind. Have you tires taking the security off and seening if your laptop well work that way? i think if im right not that sure with vista but it sounds that your connected with the local network and not with internet, so may be the desktop needs to share the connection again or however you said it was done.

thanx jaybo, but i'm sure the router is transmitting wireless internet signals. some setting on the laptop is preventing it from recognizing/connecting to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom