Unstable wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
This is sort of weird. For one, the quality of my connection will go up or down take or give 20%. And two, sometimes my connection quality is say 20-25% and I can't even connect to the router, and others it will be 1% and I can connect to the router and internet. Of course it's extremely slow and really doesn't work well, but it works. I don't see why sometimes I can connect to the internet/router and sometimes I can't, especially with these quality fluctuations. Anyway, I'm using a basic Linksys 54G router and wireless G card with SRX technology on my computer. Can anyone think of whats wrong off the top of their head? I know it's got to be something relatively simple.

Have you tried to reset your router? Just unplug everything and replug it in after ten seconds.

-Steve

I cant remember the precise details at the moment, when i can get hold of my laptop i'll be more specifice but basically...

A couple of options:

1/ You could try changing the channel you are using, it is possible that there is some interference but perhaps unlikely

2/ more likely, especially if you are using a laptop and windows, your computer is controlling the power allowed to the network card and thus the connection is not as good as it could be. Go to device manager and find your network card. There should be a powersave or related option somewhere, change that from letting windows control it and use the slider to select maximum. If this solves your problem then all is good - although you are using more power than might be necessary and so will have a noticably shorter battery life with a laptop. Probably best is to decrease the slider until you get the problem again and then put it back up one notch.

There were some other settings around the same area as the power option you may want to change - but i cant remember off the top of my head what they were!

FIRST question that should be answered, is what is the DISTANCE between the router and the host that is having issues?? The signal is limited by distance.

Distance stays the same. I am on a desktop computer so those power saving options would not apply. Near or far, the quality changes, and can sometimes connect at 1% quality and sometimes not even at 25%. I've tried resetting the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom