Ubuntu wont install

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
Hi -

I downloaded the 8.10 desktop version onto my desktop, then
Burned the ISO through Infrarecorder, then reboot my machine with disc in.

It launches the install, i choose my language and then the option to install. The orange progress bar goes back and forward for a while and then, a page of code appears entitled- "fsck", with lots of services saying started and then ok. The last item is bluetooth started ok. Then it just stops and i have to reset my machine.

Any ideas?

Did you get the LiveCD version? Also how did you download the ISO? HTTP Download or from a torrent?

fsck is the unix version of chkdsk, it might be a crapy disk or you haven't formated the drive or partition correctly.

Did you get the LiveCD version? Also how did you download the ISO? HTTP Download or from a torrent?

I downloaded it directly from their website, so that would be http. I just clicked on the desktop version and downloaded it. After it wouldnt work the first time, i started all over again (download, burn, and install) but exact same problem.

How long did you give it before you rebooted your machine?

a good 20 mins.

It could be that you didnt get the whole file. Cause Ubuntu 8.10 should be a LiveCD and you should go right into the Live interface and have the install Icon on the desktop. Unless you got one of the versions that isnt a LiveCD. I would suggest a download via torrent that way you can MD5sum check it to make sure the whole file is there.

Make sure that you follow Mak's advice about the MD5 checksum. Someone a few weeks ago didn't listen and had problems. When I downloaded Ubuntu I took Mak's advice and did a checksum check. Follow that advice. All it is is making sure that everything downloaded properly by comparing data, that is what a checksum does (in case you might not know).

Nope - didn't work. I downloaded the torrent version then burned again. I also was able to compare the Md5 checksum which matched. Reboot my machine with disc in - and exact same thing happens. It just freezes after, what i can only describe as - a list of hardware initialisation checks. Maybe it's not being burned properly but i did select it to be burned at lowest speed. I also make sure no other apps are running, screensaver disabled and power savings are off during the burn.

How are you burning it? With what software and speed? It should be done at low speed. Not at max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom