They say I have to reinstall liveupdate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Francis

Baseband Member
I have had no AV protection for what seems like ages! I`m running win98 with Norton Internet security 2004 which I had downloaded last March (04) and have had basically nothing but problems since. Until recently though, I`ve been able to get updates for everything else except for anti-virus protection. As of the last week or so , when I made the futile attempt to get my definitions, I`ve been getting a "LU1803" message that I couldn`t get the updates and to try 1st to clear the log file which I did, but that didn`t work. It then said that I should re-install my live update program. I tried that using lusetup-lt.exe file which I downloaded but that didn`t work either.
Before I get into anything further on the forum, is there anything I can do before I use the computer as an anchor?
Jay

Mobo;
I did read that...in fact that`s where I got the info I used to reinstall the live update. The icon in the system try is there and is enabled. Also I did download the NIS 2004 on line back in March. And , figuring I wouldn`t have any problems, I didn`t get the extended ability to download again. That was probably my #1 mistake! I`m willing to remove the program completly from the computer but due to some other stuff that was my own fault, I have a feeling that even if I do that, I won`t clear everything out that needs clearing.
I do appreciate the information though. Thanks.
Jay

Mobo;
I just read all posts and I honestly thought I`d be able to get things back on track using the following links, but they didn`t work as planned.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html. as well as *settings.liveupdate
I noticed that even when I tried to get my updates from the Symantec site , it asked for "disk #2" , but because I downloaded NIS 2004 from their site , I don`t have the disk.
If I delete all settings from doing the search *settings.liveupdate , will anything work at all? To me it only makes sense that it won`t . There are 3 entries in that file.
Jay

Jay, can you manually download the virus def. update here --> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html
?
also, it is the long rout, a very long rout... but search the manual removal process for your exact symantec product.
this may include deleteing manually several files and registry settings, then reinstalling a fresh copy, (dl from site) then using the add/remove programs to remove all of the symantec product... thus giving you a clean slate to start forward with. i just recently had to do this with my NAV 2004 for another reason.

~KB

All I can say is this. It isnt working now and something like 7 people in that thread did the prescribed method and it worked...If it were me I would say "I would have nothing to loose" . But its your system so you decide..

They say I have to reinstall.

I recently had similar problems with my Norton Symantec updates and I solved them by simply removing Norton security pack 2005 from my computer and reinstalling it with the CD. Everything went 100 % after that. THE TRUTH IS TOO SIMPLY FOR US

Tovarich;
I appreciate the reply. But that problem was taken care of way back in `93. It`s great that someone looks out for us! Thanks again, and enjoy the Forum!
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom