Thechnological Ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten the typical...(I think some of can relate)

Person : "Hey, How ya doin'? My computer won't work, how do I get it to work? I mean...it worked before...but now its not. Can you come over here and fix it so it runs again?" (Heavy Southern Accent)

Me : "Well, sir, I could do that for you, but lets run through some steps to make sure everything is plugged in correctly"

Person : "Oh, you gotta plug somethin' in?" (Heavy Southern Accent)

Me : "Well yeah, thats the source of power to the computer"

Person : "Oh...alright...whatever that means. How do I go about "plugging" this thing in?"

Me : "Just go ahead and take the black cable plugged into the back of the computer, and plug it into a outlet on the wall."

Person : "I don't see no black cable...I just see the box"

Me : "Ok, well, do you have any type of black cable lying around that looks like it would plug into the back of the computer, and the other end to the wall?"

Person : "Wait, what?"

Me : "Do you have a black cable that plugs into the back of the computer?"

Person : "Don't know, let me see. (Waiting) (Waiting) (Hear yelling) (Lot of rustling around)... Alright, I think I found it...I plugged it into the wall"

Me : "Okay, thats great, now, lets unplug it from the wall first, and go ahead and plug it into the back of the computer" (Safety, I've been shocked from it)

Person : "It don't fit...it just fits in the wall"

Me : "There is another end on the cable, it fits into the back of the computer"

Person : "Oh, no...its got no end to it...got chewed er somethin'."

Me : "Looks like you have to buy a new power cable"

Person : "Where would I get something like that?"

Me : "You could get it at a local computer shop, or something like BestBuy, or Circuit City, or even possibly from here, and I could show you how to do it."

Person : "Where can I find one of those?"

Me : (Telling him directions from where he lives)

Person : "Alright thanks, can I call back when I get the cable?"

Me : "Sure"

Low and behold, he did get the correct cable, and he did call back for another 30 minute conversation on how to plug it in, and then, I had to spend another 45 minutes explaining to him how to plug in the rest of the things, and a lot of other stuff.

I've actually had this happen three times or more, along with a assortment of other angry people, ...who have no idea what they are talking about (But think they do), but wow, people can be ridiculous.

Typical, but I have other stories, I'll post here later.

Dude I feel for you. I don't remember where I heard this, but I remember a story of some guy shooting his pc with a shotgun when it acted up. He got ****ed when they told him that the warranty didn't cover gunshot damage.

So I just had a woman in the shop that didn't know she could put files in folders. I'm dead serious. She had no idea. She just saved all her photos to the desktop, and when we put them all in a folder to un-clutter everything about had a hernia, she thought they were all gone...until I pointed to the folder that was right in front of her face that said "FILES FROM DESKTOP".

I hate hate hate ignorant people.

So much bugs me about tech ignorant people, but working in a computer shop in west virginia, you have to quell it a little to get by, haha.

you keep referencing WV, do you live/work here? If so...run...dear lord run away :| and gosh you people need to stop with the southern accent thing :( I hate mine....

Anyway...I love ignorant people. I know I don't know that much about computers, but I know more than most. There is this kid at school that is always throwing BS around (seriously..can't mention anything technology related without him saying something wrong about it)...Took 50 minutes of talking/screaming to get him to understand liquid cooling uses water. One day I said something about a screen projector in the classroom and he started rambling about how the only difference between that model and older ones is because it had "more RAM".....

you keep referencing WV, do you live/work here? If so...run...dear lord run away :| and gosh you people need to stop with the southern accent thing :( I hate mine....

Anyway...I love ignorant people. I know I don't know that much about computers, but I know more than most. There is this kid at school that is always throwing BS around (seriously..can't mention anything technology related without him saying something wrong about it)...Took 50 minutes of talking/screaming to get him to understand liquid cooling uses water. One day I said something about a screen projector in the classroom and he started rambling about how the only difference between that model and older ones is because it had "more RAM".....

I would LOVE to meet that guy ^_^

I would have told him to get that RAM our of the projector, and RAM it right up his ***. Just me though.

lol is his name Gabb?

Shoulda asked him if it used SDR or DDR ram. His answer just might have been priceless:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom