the real power of xbox360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think this, http://www.apple.com/macpro/ , with quad cores would have more computing power than the 360, and if it had the highest graphics card available, the X1900XT or the Quadro FX 4500, it would probably smoke the 360.
But at $5k??? No friggin way.

As I've pointed out before, much of this has to do with the 360's ARCHITECTURE. How the cache and rendering is handled, which is not in anyway similar to the way a PC does it (procedural synthesis would be one thing to look up).

the real power of the the 360 lies in it's price. that much power for only $300 or $400 bucks for the hardware? pfft. not many pc's can touch those specs @ $300. i'm a 360 owner and i also game on my pc. just throwing my opinion into the mix. :D

agreed, but to many people look at the proc and the GPU, and not enough attention is paid to the architecture which is what REALLY makes this thing get up and go. I've said all along it will take a very long time to fully exploit this machine, and the main reason behind that is because of the odd and powerful architecture. There are documents abound that explain all of this, however it is very advanced reading so those who are interested, take a look. I found a real helpful write up on arstechnica... I posted the link some time ago in this forum if any one is interested. It goes into what I mentioned as well as a many others, like the cache system, unified shaders, the instruction sets, etc.

Look at first gen games on the xbox. Halo CE looked pretty good at the time, but that didn't puch the limits. It took another 3 years, the launch of halo2, before a game would actually push the limits of the xbox. The GPU on the 360 isn't an underclocked x1950xtx, it's a custom card made only for the 360, with it's own architecture. It's an r580(i think) the precurser to the r600's. My 360 runs games better than the computer that i just spent 1k on. The 360 is a better platform for gaming, unless you go out the wazoo and spend more than like 2500 on a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom