technology computer degrees, programs, certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hardest part is getting experience. If you want a position enough you will go out and find work, paid or not. I had an internship that didn't pay me anything unless I did onsite work. Now I am at a huge health care company that pays well for the work you have to do. I am more of a baby sitter and alert the proper team what is wrong. I think everybody should have an experience with a mainframe. They are more stable than anything I have ever seen and supports a huge amount of users. they just need a full time crew to keep it running.

Anyway the best advice I can give you is not go give up and put whatever you can on your resume.

I will be taking the CWNA (certified wireless network administrator) course this semester for fun, i plan on going all the way to CWNP. With all these wireless networks popping op i think it is a good choice, when i am done i will post how good it is. You should also look into the security area, some good ones there are the CISSP, SSCP, N+ and S+.

PC/IT Employment start in Australia

Originally wanting to get into Computer Engineering, to pay my way in University, I decided to do an Associate Diploma in Electrical Engineering at TAFE (Technical College) and hoped to take up a University course in Computer Engineering or Computer Science while working in the industry. Half way through, the government scrapped it and I had to restart it under a new name.
In due time I was finishing the course but seeing little chance of breaking into electronics (from 2 years' worth of rejections), I decided to break into IT with a couple of courses in programming (to strengthen my background in C and C++).
Today, 6 years after finishing my studies with pretty decent marks, I sit at the age of 35 working as a storeman at a barbecue store getting paid barely more than minimum wage.
The conclusion here for any aussies reading this, don't bother studying at TAFE or any other little private institutes if you want a job in IT,electronics or comms.
If you want to go the road of studies, get marks as high as possible in your HSC and try to get into University but be prepared for 4 to 6 years of utter poverty (eating 2 min. noodles and tap water while sharing a flat with 4 other students or living with mom and dad). Otherwise, be prepared to work for free for any possible non profit organization for about 10 to 20 years, open a business, see it fail, become a wiz in networking and pc troubleshooting, keep working for free and in time you may be able to break into the market.
The other alternative is having a dad already in the industry who's weaned you off the teat straight into PCs and has always provided you with hardware to play with, so that by the age of 15 you are a wiz kid with a wide range of knowledge in programming, networking, web design, etc. (usually these kids fall straight into a job).

Good luck.

to AMK,
U should consider coming to Kenya. Employers in Kenya love foreigners. U can get a job with any hopeless degree provided it be foren!
Ya buddy; Lawrence

what kind of degree should i go for

hi i am looking for some opinions in what kind of field in computers should i get into i dont know a lot but im not an idiot when it comes to computers well really the only thing i know how to do is repair and build one and im currently trying to learn how to write programs can anyone give me some opinions

Im having problems clearing my 70-291 and 70-290. Did testking, but im always very close to passing the 700 point, just never make it. Any tips?

i would like to move to the us at some stage, but it sounds like its hard to get a job in IT at the mo, also hard to get to the US full stop for us brits. what do you need to get into IT over there?

quick background i started in the build shop for 4-5 yrs and now on clients sites since 98, have one mcp in win 2000 install admin etc etc

any ideas guys?

I recently got a Master's Degree in Web Design and Development, and I've found it has helped me. I've been a web designer for years, but then the Great Bust came and there wasn't a job to be had. Things are getting better in the Silicon Valley area (slowly). And the degree gave me credibility.

cfreeland: I think database administration is always a good way to go, but others might know better than I.

Im getting my certificate in Computer Programming threw PCDI :) Im pretty proud! Learning visual Basic 6.0, fun fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom