technology computer degrees, programs, certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
kotuadam:

I have MIS degree and LOVE it!
Although I graduated in 95... the times/markets have changed but the industry/businesses have not.

After graduating, I worked at a traveling consultant for 5 years (one of the Big 6 firms... at the time). I did custom application development. The skills/knowledge/experience I got from doing that was awesome.

Your statement about "not liking coding/programing"... pretty confusing. Why would you want a MIS/CS degree if you don't like them?

That does not mean the ONLY thing a MIS / CS major does is code, but you got to start at the bottom. Of all the phases of a project life cycle, most people need to learn who to code before they: write requirements, manage, budget, analyze, etc. etc.

anyway, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A HUGE DEMAND for MIS / CS majors. The IT field will ALWAYS grow. Well, let me change that statement, there will always be a demand for "GOOD" MIS / CS majors.

During the late 90s, everyone wanted to be a programmer. They thought, if I can learn java... I can make 150K a year. Easy as that.

I believe the last 3 years have weeded out the people wanting a free ride. AND companies learned that NOT ANYONE can do the job. The last 3 years will soon give way to high demand to qualified MIS / CS majors. Thoses degrees will soon be paid a premium, just like before.

Its a cycle!

Good Luck

Mage:

Companies will learn that getting cheap labor will not always increase the bottom line.

That lesson will be learned the hard way.

Now, obviously, some companies will succeed in sending work to places with cheap workers.

But some will try and fail!

I would like to see a mission critical application be developed over the phone, with a language barrier :)

Not going to happen!

anyway, just my thoughts

Oh, one more thing, even when 10 jobs are lost to overseas job, SOMEBODY must manage the project.

Im CCNA and CCNP and i have a pretty good job. Just in my opinion, MCSE will not help you much, not even if your working for microsoft. It is a bunch of useless tests. CCNA will get you an alright job 30-50k a year, CCNP will get you anywhere from 50-70k. I make 75 being a network admin. I love my job but i put up with alot of crap as the rest of netmin's do. Now, if you have a CCIE, your a god. You can go anywhere and get any computer job in the world. I know 1 person who has this and he makes 200k being a netmin.

say... can you explain all the letters? CCIE, CCNP, MSCE, CCNP, CCNA.

What are they? What are the differences between them? Pros/Cons, etc.

Thanks,

Hopefully it will help some of our readers who are wondering what they should do?

:)

Sure!
CCNA stands for cisco certified network associate. This is the bottom level of cisco cert's but even at the bottom i still believe this one to be better than any microsoft cert. With a CCNA your basically a network maintence man. You can fix a range of network problems and in my opinion this is a must have for a netmin.

CCNP is a cisco certified network professional - the difference between the ccna and the ccnp at least for me where that the CCNP goes more in depth into network technologies, more WANs and MAN's. All of the cisco certs give you a lot of router expierience which has been great for me, it is also great fun.

Now, for the big daddy of them all, CCIE stands for cisco certified internet expert. I dont have this and not a lot of people do. The one person i know who does have this, is a very smart man. From what i have heard, the CCIE is 10 grand to even take the test, you then have to fly to san jose california to take the test at cisco, they give you actual problems, give you a day to fix it. You then go home and someone comes in and messes 1 little thing up, the next day you come in and have to fix the problem that they created. Not an easy thing. There are stories of people just stopping in the middle of the test and going home because they could not fix the problems.

Oh forgot 1.
The MCSE stands for Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. Microsoft claims this is a big one, but the only thing that makes it big is that there are 7 tests. The only personality trait i think this shows is persistance. I think this one is a crock though. They take everything in thier MCSE books, and spread it over 7 different tests. They arent that hard from what i hear eaither. The hardest test to take are the cisco from what i have seen. They give router prompts in thier cert tests, they also give the questions "select all that apply" and it is very hard. They make sure you know your stuff.

Get the MCSE, A+, Network+, and any of the Programming Cert's if you so choose.

If you want to make the most $ take the Cisco Cert.

If you have alot of experience at PC's then you really can find jobs without any Certs. Most jobs ask for Certs or time and experience.

Try to apply at any of State Civil Service Positions.

Larry said:
What computer degree should I get?
Should I get certified in java?
What technology job or degree pays the most money?
What computer degree with offer me the best career?
Should I become an computer expert in one degree or become a jack of all trades?

These questions and more are the focus of this forum topic?

I hope everyone can offer your questions, opinions, and answers.
Thanks

I think you could have a BSc in Comp Science, cuz this degree has a mix of comp stuff in it. You should get those "profesional technology certifications" (e.g. Oracle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom