Sunday Home Project

looptruy

Beta member
Hello All

So this is my first post and I come here because, after doing some fair research online, I think I have more questions than answers.

Problem Statement:

I need to have wireless internet everywhere in myflat without having cables floating around. The "cabled" connection must be in a specific room because, in this room, I have my cable system which I want to be able to connect to the internet in order to be able to record tv series.

I have cable RCN at home. It provides with a good wireless router but its signal is too weak at the moment in some areas of the flat where we want to also have wireless.

Equipment I have
Cisco E1200 v2 Linksys - used currently for wireless
Siemens se361 router wireless, not being used currently
netgear wnr100 router wireless, also not being used currently

The cable internet is connected to the Cisco e1200. What I want to achieve is to connect this cisco 1200 to any of the other 2 routers, wirelessly.

And now, the questions:
I think what I need to do is bridge 2 routers. The problem seems to be that nor the siemens, not the gear wnr can be bridged. it would seem the cisco can be bridged or at least, I could use the firmware found here:
www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

to actually transform it into a bridgeable router. IF I did so, then I guess I would need to connect either the siemens or the netgear to the cable adapter and use them as "main" routers, transforming the cisco into the bridge.

questions:
is this complicated effort worth it, modifying firmwares, etc?
can I achieve the sameby simply buying an AP?
Can I achieve all this without having to have cables floating around my flat?

I would just get a much stronger router for the wireless, and use powernet adapters to get the wired connection to the back of your cable box.
Itd be more expensive but WAY less complicated.

You can also try another alternative called Power Line network.
There's very little to configure, just plug your router in to the power line device and connect the other power line device into the wall outlet in another room and your done. It uses your home wiring like a giant ethernet cable
NOTE: this probably won't work if the flat is on separate metered circuits
Powerline Networking, Powerline Adapters - Newegg.com

Edit: not sure if that's what Yevrag35 ment by suggesting powernet adapter

Last edited:
flat is 1000 sq feet, 1 BR appartment. it has been refurbished some years ago so I am hoping this solution you mention may work....

I think that will work out nice for you. I had someone that needed internet in a metal pole barn, although they did have a wireless modem/router in the house (approx 150 feet away) no way was it going through the metal barn. I even tried a parabolic antennae and it was futile.
I did have success with the power line, This went from the modem in a new addition of the house, through a circuit box for the new addition and into a second circuit box near the power company meter. Then I tried to go through a third circuit box in the pole barn, ....Not!! could not pick up the network. Luckily they had a single 120v outlet from years ago that was still was connected to the circuit box near the meter and although the signal was on the weaker side, it still found and connected to the modem/router in the newer addition. From there I was able to install a wireless router (they insisted on having wireless in the barn) and connect to a pc in the opposite corner on the pole barn wireless.

Back
Top Bottom