Strange networking behaviour; virus??

AvariceX

Beta member
I don't know if this problem is a virus or something else entirely, but it's certainly not ordinary. Starting yesterday I have been unable to effectively use my internet connection on my laptop. I can connect to wireless networks and no matter what network I connect to (I've tried several) I will briefly have a working connection for maybe a minute and then I won't be able to connect to anything. During that first minute if I connect to HotspotShield then I can continue using my connection indefinitely with no problems whatsoever, but as soon as I close the connection to HotspotShield I'll be disconnected from everything again and won't even be able to reconnect to HotspotShield until I switch networks or disable/enable my wireless card.

What makes this really weird is that my brother has also been using his laptop right beside me and I've had him test all of the same wireless networks I've been trying and he has no problems at all. So I at least know this problem is local to my laptop. HotspotShield is an ok workaround for now but it creates some limits I don't want to be forced to always deal with (slower connections, torrenting problems).

I've looked around a bit for recent virus trends but haven't found much like this. Does this sound familiar to anyone at all? Is it a virus or DDoS or something else? And if it's something I can fix: how? Thanks.

edit: Quick update on this. I ran ComboFix and everything seems to be working normally now. Still not sure what caused all this.

Back
Top Bottom