so confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrongwayh32

Beta member
Iwant to hook 2 computers/with one modem using either net can any one tell me what i need and have to do?

You want to share an internet connection? I'm not sure what you mean. If so, use XP's internet connection sharing wizard. But if you want the compters just to be on a network together, just buy two network cards and go from there. But, be forewarned, tow computers sharing one modem connection will run VERY slowly. So slowly , that I doubt it would be worth the trouble of doing it.

it will be very slow yes, but if you have the existing equipment, not totally worthless. Just don't expect performance. Basically, you'll have on PC with a modem and NIC and another PC with a NIC... connect these two PCs together with a crossover cable. Give them similar IP addresses. In your network settings, find your dialup connection and share it. I've done this with windows 2000 and it's possible with XP too. Be persistent, keep an open mind, and be ready to dump a little time into it... there's always an obscure network setting that can be missed on the first time.

Oh, and you will make the gateway on the second computer to match the IP of the PC with the modem

hope that helps

thank you for your input on my problem, I will be using a dsl modem with a roter and was wondering what kind of problems I might encounter by doing so, and if this would work properly?

Theorectically you should just have to plug the stuff together and it should work. Whether that's the case or not, only time will tell. GOo luck. One word of advice from past experience, if you by a Linksys router and it won't work, update the firmware.

the network thefork8 describes can be used, but remember it will cut your speed by about 1/2. Also remember that each computer needs a specific name. I named my server dummy and the secondary computer jerk,any name will do. Also do a search checking that they see one another . More than 2 computers may be networked this way, but each one hooked up to the server cuts it's speed even more, so why would you want to? GL networking :-D
Alanis

Alanis said:
the network thefork8 describes can be used, but remember it will cut your speed by about 1/2.

I don't think this statement is entirely true and also maybe misunderstood by some ppl. For the home network described, the wan link is the bottleneck. The two computers will only be able to receive as much data as the link can handle. If only one computer is accessing the inet, it'll utilize as much bandwidth as the connection allows. Same with two computers which will have a performance hit, meaning slower speeds for both. There's another factor in this setup which is that you will only download at a speed the host can handle.

wrongwayh32 said:
thank you for your input on my problem, I will be using a dsl modem with a roter and was wondering what kind of problems I might encounter by doing so, and if this would work properly?

is the DSL modem external? Have built in routing capabilities? If that's the case (we had one at work for a while with a built in switch) then just plug both PCs into it with patch cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom